This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Wyoming chapter.

For the first time since I moved to Laramie, I legitimately felt terrified as I walked home. As a former resident of Los Angeles, I was used to feeling scared when I walked at night, watching my back all the time, it was an instinct. Once I moved to Laramie, I felt safe and comfortable when I walked home at night.

I am not sure if it is because of stories I have been hearing of late, or just my subconscious pushing through, but as I walked home my sense of comfort vanished. I was talking on the phone with family, and when they had to go, I tried calling someone else, but there was no answer. When I called my sister, I was in a state of panic and in tears. I have never felt more alone and frightened in my life.

This moment has left me in shock. How is it, that in a blink of an eye, you can begin feeling insecure about things that used to seem easy?

Being the type of person that does not panic in these types of situations, I was stunned. I began hyperventilating, and I could not get words out of my mouth. As my sister was on the phone with me, she was trying to calm me down, but the fear of someone behind me or attacking me was present. I do hope that this feeling will eventually go away, but from now on I just need to be aware that I am not alone, because I am sure that there are many women, especially now, that are feeling this way.

From this experience, I have come to the realization that no place is safe. It is important to always take measures to ensure your safety and be aware of your surroundings. I was lucky that it was just me panicking, but for some people, things like this are even more terrifying. Looking out for one another is something that should always be kept in mind.

Kaitlyn is a recent grad the University of Wyoming, where she got her degree in Marketing. She has been the Campus Correspondent for a Pink level chapter, a Chapter Advisor to some amazing chapters, and now has the pleasure of being a Region Leader. Born and raised on the Western Slope of Colorado, her love for nature and the outdoors comes naturally. Kaitlyn lives for football season, but finds way to stay preoccupied during the off-season. She enjoys long walks in the mountains, beer as cold as her heart, and bacon on her burgers. You can follow Kaitlyn’s adventures on Instagram, @kaysoup.