University of Wyoming Fall Sports Recap

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Wyoming chapter.

Fall sports at Wyoming this year have been quite the ride. Winning seasons all around for soccer, volleyball, and football. The Pokes have been busy doing work to make the school, state, and fans all over proud. Although I may be a little biased, I can’t help but be excited about the Cowgirls and Cowboys!

Cowgirl soccer (10-8-2, 6-4-1 MW) concluded their winning season in the Mountain West tournament in the first round. Considering a good portion of the team was out for injuries this season (more than the entire football team), the Cowgirls performed well. They’re in a good position going into next season with the number of strong players they have. The program has grown over the past few years under the leadership of Coach Pete Cuadrado, and he keep the team on the trajectory they’re already on. Though they’ve lost quite a few seniors, the Cowgirls remain a strong team.

Cowgirl volleyball is no stranger to having a strong season. They also finished with a winning season under their belt (18-13, 11-7 MW). Although they did not finish the top of the Mountain West, the Cowgirls showed that they’ll be a force next season. With returners like Copeland, Lewis, and Fields, Cowgirl volleyball will continue to be a solid program. Of course, Wyoming fans already knew that we have a good volleyball program. Seniors, Laura Beach and Kayla Slofkiss were named to the 2016 All-Mountain West volleyball team. Head coach, Chad Callihan, holds the most Mountain West wins (47) in the history of Wyoming volleyball. Fans have more excitement to look forward to next fall.

Cowboy football ended their season with an 8-5 record, and competed for the Mountain West Conference title.  In comparison to last season, the Cowboys’ performance more than exceeded expectations. They beat two ranked teams, Boise State and San Diego State, and lost only one game at home (seriously, almost every game was a Bohl Game). Not only did the Cowboys win the Mountain Division of the Mountain West Conference, but they also hosted the Championship game. Wyoming received national attention for how well they performed this season. Not too shabby for a team that finished their previous season with just 2 wins. The Cowboys will continue postseason play at the Poinsettia Bowl in San Diego on Dec. 21 with a kick-off at 7.p.m., Mountain Time.

SaveSave

Emily Cornell

U Wyoming '17

Emily is a graduate of the University of Wyoming with a Bachelor's in Business Management and Master's in Communication. In terms of career, Emily interned for Wyoming Athletics, and wants to eventually work in sports marketing. When not working or in class, she can typically be found baking cheesecakes, drinking coffee, or having random adventures. If the idea of these three things seem exciting, you can follow her on Instagram or Twitter, username: emilproblems. 
Kaitlyn is a recent grad the University of Wyoming, where she got her degree in Marketing. She has been the Campus Correspondent for a Pink level chapter, a Chapter Advisor to some amazing chapters, and now has the pleasure of being a Region Leader. Born and raised on the Western Slope of Colorado, her love for nature and the outdoors comes naturally. Kaitlyn lives for football season, but finds way to stay preoccupied during the off-season. She enjoys long walks in the mountains, beer as cold as her heart, and bacon on her burgers. You can follow Kaitlyn’s adventures on Instagram, @kaysoup.