This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Wyoming chapter.

Dare I say it–the warm weather is finally here! While I doubt we’ve had our last bout of cold for the season, I’m really excited to spend the next few months basking in the wonderful Wyoming summer sun.

I love the sun just as much as the next person, and I spend as much time outdoors as I can in the summer months. Unfortunately, our skin doesn’t share the same affections. I cringe when I see young women frying their skin to get that sun-kissed glow our society worships, either by naturally sunbathing or artificially tanning. I myself have been the victim of catastrophic sunburns because I valued my summer tan over the health of my skin. As twenty-somethings, we are at a point in our lives when we can make the decision to preserve our vibrant, wrinkle-free skin. Even though I’m only 22, I like to be mindful of how I want my skin to look when I’m 50. Here are some tips for maintaining happy skin during the hot summer months.

1. Use. Sunscreen.

I’m not saying you need to use SPF 100, but you need to use sunscreen. Period. Nobody is immune to the sun’s harmful rays; even if your burns are minimal, there is still damage being done to your skin. If you use sunscreen with low SPF, you’ll still get a slight tan. Plus, you’ll be thanking yourself when your skin isn’t peeling off a week later.

2. Use a facial moisturizer with sunscreen.

You should take extra care of your face, but a lot of people forget it altogether. Applying a moisturizer with SPF in the morning before putting on your makeup is an easy way to protect it. These moisturizers are easy to find, as well.

3. Don’t forget to protect sensitive areas from the sun.

I once got a bad sunburn on my eyelids–no joke. When you’re getting yourself ready for the sun, don’t forget about areas like your lips, eyelids, ears, and even scalp. You can find sunscreen specifically for some of these sensitive spots, such as SPF lip balm.

4. Apply aloe vera lotion after being outside for extended periods.

It’s good to keep your skin moisturized in general, but special lotions infused with aloe vera are ideal for sun-exposed skin. These lotions are also helpful with healing sunburns.

5. Lather on some tinted lotion.

We all know that tanning ages skin, so why not just fake it? You need to be cautious with self-tanning lotions to avoid unnatural looks, but the right product will give your skin a touch of glow without the use of UV rays.

6. Apply a hydrating eye cream at night.

Nothing looks worse than saggy, tired skin under your eyes, am I right? I apply eye cream under my eyes a couple nights a week to keep that sensitive area strong and hydrated. While I’m not a huge supporter of the endless strings of anti-aging products thrown at women, eye cream is a cheap and easy way to prevent facial wrinkles, as well.

7. Eat lots of fruit!

Many fruits are filled with vitamin C and other antioxidants that are essential for healthy skin. Vitamin C creates collagen, which keeps skin strong while protecting it from cellular damage caused by the sun.

1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

1

1
Brittany Johnson

U Wyoming '19

Brittany is a senior at the University of Wyoming, studying English and professional writing. She loves ice cream, Jesus, historical fiction novels, the ocean, and Asiatic lilies. Wyoming is her seventh and favorite home; you can often find her skiing, running, hiking, or drinking a good cup of coffee.
Hailee Riddle

U Wyoming '20

Writing is hard, but I love it. "Little girls with dreams become women with vision." HC U Wyoming Writing since 2016