Three Things To Do To Get Into The Halloween Spirit

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Wyoming chapter.

1. Create a Halloween Playlist

If you’re a huge fan of Halloween, like me, you’ve probably already thought about creating a spooky playlist to get you through the month of October. I’ve thrown Halloween parties in the past and the music creates the spooky atmosphere you want. Although there won’t be many Halloween parties due to the pandemic, jamming out to these spooky songs can be just as fun with some close friends. 

A few recommendations:

Thriller – Michael Jackson 

Super Freak – Rick James

Somebody’s Watching Me – Rockwell

Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This) – Eurythmics

2. Make Spooky Treats

A fun way to celebrate Halloween is by baking cute or creepy treats! My roommates and I made cupcakes last weekend with green frosting and googly eyes. Walmart currently has multiple Halloween themed cake mixes to try out!  If you’re not a fan of cupcakes, there’s always the old reliable pumpkin sugar cookie dough that Pillsbury makes that you can pop in the oven. 

Here’s a few treat ideas:

Ghost Strawberries –

1. Melt white chocolate in a small bowl.

2. Dip strawberries into the bowl then immediately transfer to a plate/baking tray.

3. Put two chocolate chips for the eyes and one for the mouth.

4. Let the dipped strawberries harden in the refrigerator.

5. Eat!

Mummy Oreos – 

1. Melt milk or dark chocolate in a small bowl.

2. Dip an entire oreo in the chocolate and use a fork to flip each side.

3. Transfer dipped oreo onto a plate/baking tray.

4. Put the oreos in the refrigerator until the chocolate hardens.

5. Melt white chocolate in  a small bowl.

6. Use a fork to drizzle white chocolate back and forth on each oreo.

7. Add chocolate chips for eyes. 

8. Eat!

3. Watch Scary Movies

I’m a fan of horror movies year-round, but especially during Spooktober. Watching a  horror movie never fails to get me into the Halloween spirit. The past few weekends I’ve already watched multiple horror movies including Insidious, In the Tall Grass, and Pet Sematary. If you’re not a fan of horror movies, you can never go wrong with classics such as Halloweentown or Hocus Pocus. I hope these recommendations help you get into the Halloween spirit!

Where to watch these movies:

In the Tall Grass & Insidious – Netflix

Pet Sematary – Amazon Prime & Hulu

Halloweentown – Hulu 

Hocus Pocus – Disney+

Elena Stewart

U Wyoming '23

Elizabeth Mertz

U Wyoming '21

Liz is a junior at the University of Wyoming studying English Education. She's a book enthusiast, Spotify playlist creator, and movie buff. Her life goals include traveling as much as she can afford to and being an awesome teacher.