Three Podcasts I’m Finding Incredibly Relatable This New Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Wyoming chapter.

It’s 2020, it’s supposed to be a new year, new me… But I’m still as bitter and whiny as ever. Everyone around me seems to be at their best, and it’s honestly frustrating. These podcasts ease that frustration. Each podcast is unique in platform and content, but they’re all incredibly relatable because they all discuss the frustrating feelings that a lot of us experience. Whether they’re mundane frustrations like traffic and dating troubles or the frustrations no one talks about, you might find camaraderie with the hosts and guests of these podcasts. When I’m not listening to true crime podcasts, you’ll probably find me listening to one of these guys.

3. Why Won’t You Date Me w/ Nicole Byer

Nicole Byer is a larger than life personality. I truly love her. She’s seriously got everything– personality, looks, career, confidence. Approaching her mid-thirties, she only lacks one thing– a boyfriend. In Why Won’t You Date Me, Nicole discusses love, sex, and relationships and tries to answer the question of why she is still single! (I seriously need to know why? She’s like amazing.) This is totally relatable. I ask the same thing every single day.

2. Unhappy Hour w/ Matt Bellassai

If you’re familiar with Matt Bellassai, you probably know these three components: he’s freaking hilarious, he, maybe, has a drinking problem(?), and he LOVES to complain. (Also, same.) Each week, he gets drunk and talks about everything he (and we) love to hate. He’s undeniably funny, and he doesn’t hesitate to complain about things that we all hate but might be too petty to say aloud. Unhappy Hour is honestly too relatable and actually very cathartic. I definitely recommend.

1. Don’t Blame Me w/ Meghan Reinks

This is currently my most-listened-to podcast. In Don’t Blame Me, Meghan Rienks takes calls each week and dishes her advice on a wide variety of subjects. I also like that Don’t Blame Me presents as very female-empowering and sex-positive. She answers a lot of questions people have but don’t know who to ask, or are afraid to ask about. Questions about roommate tension, relationships, sex, and what to do if the guy you like is going to prison for murder. It’s seriously relieving to hear someone call in with something that you can relate to or have experienced. It’s relieving to know you’re not alone in all the craziness and that maybe you’re not actually a freak. 

3, 2, 1

Sarina Garnica

U Wyoming '22

Sarina is a first generation college student at the University of Wyoming. She is a criminal justice major with a strong interest in the law. She comes from a small town from Wyoming and is the middle child of eight children. She is romantic, imaginative, and determined. She also is a true crime enthusiast. She loves podcasts, books, and watching anything with subtitles. Her goal for the future is to attend law school and make great contributions to society with her work.
I am the current co-correspondent of the University of Wyoming! I spend my time reading lots of historical information, cooking, going out with my friends, and eating ice cream. I am a history major and my plans are to attend grad school to be a public librarian!