This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Wyoming chapter.

I’m so glad I made it home to Custer, South Dakota this year for Thanksgiving. It was a close call with the impending winter storm that always seems to come to Laramie when I need to travel. So, first and foremost, I’m thankful that classes got cancelled so I could leave before the storm hit.

Thanksgiving is a great opportunity to take a step back from the craziness of life and reflect on all that we have to be thankful for over some delicious food. I have always found that when I get into a rut, it is helpful to think of all of the blessings I have in my life. It gives me joy and a renewed perspective. Here’s just a small portion of all that I have to be thankful for:

I feel like I hit the jackpot with my family. My brother and I have always been pretty close, as far as siblings go. We share a love for music and comedy that has brought us together growing up. My brother and dad have pretty much shaped my music taste and sense of humor, so they have been a big part of who I am. My parents have always offered a listening ear, and I look forward to calling them every week while I’m away. My mom is one of the most caring people I know, and my dad and I just get each other. I feel like my relationship with them has gotten even better since I went to college. My family has been my constant support system growing up, and I’m so thankful for them.

Sometimes I think back on how incredibly nervous and excited I was about coming to college. I barely knew anyone coming to UW and I really believed I might never make friends or settle in to this new life. It took a little time, but it was worth the wait for the amazing friends I have now, like my roommates pictured above. I’m so glad I get to live with them. I love our late night talks and Dairy Queen runs. My college experience has been pretty great so far. I’m grateful that I ended up loving the University of Wyoming and feeling at home Laramie. I’m also thankful that I have enjoyed my major so much and stuck with it all through college. Of course, the fact that I can afford higher education at all is a major blessing.

I’m from a pretty small town, so friend options were limited. I often think about how lucky I was that these three were in my class. No matter how far away we are or how long we spend apart, it feels like no time has passed at all when we get back together. I was afraid that we would grow apart after high school, but I feel confident now that we will be lifelong friends. They know me better than almost anyone, and I’m so grateful to have them in my life. We have spent a lot of time together, (mostly cruising around because what else is there to do in a small town?) and I cherish my memories with them so much.

*All photos courtesy of author*

Elizabeth Mertz

U Wyoming '21

Liz is a junior at the University of Wyoming studying English Education. She's a book enthusiast, Spotify playlist creator, and movie buff. Her life goals include traveling as much as she can afford to and being an awesome teacher.
Hailee Riddle

U Wyoming '20

Writing is hard, but I love it. "Little girls with dreams become women with vision." HC U Wyoming Writing since 2016