The TED Talks We all Need to Hear Part 1

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Wyoming chapter.

If you’re ever in need of some advice, or just something to relate to, TED Talks have been a super helpful solution. We all go through various experiences and just hearing that you’re not alone can make a world of difference. There’s a TED Talk for everything, I swear, and here are some of my favorites.

1. The one where you get the motivation to go work out:

“The Brain Changing Benefits of Exercise”

Wendy Suzuki talks about the brain changing benefits of exercise. “Better mood, better energy, better memory, better attention. And the more I learned, the more I realized how powerful exercise was.”

2. The one where you get over a breakup:

“How to Fix a Broken Heart”

Guy Winch offers some much needed relationship advice that ANYONE dealing with a breakup needs to hear. “Your mind will try to tell you they were perfect. But they were not, and neither was the relationship. And if you want to get over them, you have to remind yourself of that, frequently… Getting over heartbreak is hard, but if you refuse to be misled by your mind and you take steps to heal, you can significantly minimize your suffering.”

3. The one where you learn how to manage your stress:

“How to Make Stress Your Friend”

Kelly McGonigal delivers one of my favorite TED talks, how to reduce stress. “When you choose to view your stress response as helpful, you create the biology of courage. And when you choose to connect with others under stress, you can create resilience.”

4. The one where you learn that anything is possible… even after dislocating your sternum:

“My Journey from Marine to Actor”

Adam Driver is one of my all-time favorite actors. If you don’t know the story of Adam Driver (aka Kylo Ren from the new “Star Wars” movies), then here’s your chance. Adam joined the Marines after 9/11, dislocated his sternum, got medically discharged, went to Juliard, and bad-a-boom turned into Kylo Ren.

“The military and theater communities are actually very similar. You have a group of people trying to accomplish a mission greater than themselves; it’s not about you. You have a role, you have to know your role within that team. Every team has a leader or director; sometimes they’re smart, sometimes they’re not.“

5. And finally, the one that you want to watch because it’s BASICALLY you and your BFF:

“A Hilarious Celebration of Lifelong Female Friendships” 

Jane Fonda and Lily Tomlin, your favorite gal-pals, give you an insight on female friendships.

“The Harvard Medical School study has shown that women who have close female friendships are less likely to develop impairments — physical impairments as they age, and they are likely to be seen to be living much more vital, exciting, and longer.”

Hopefully one of these was as helpful for you as they were for me. If not, don’t worry, there’s a part 2!

1, 2, 3, 4, 5

“Sometimes you want to have a very productive Saturday to feel that you are in control of your life, which of course you are not.” -Tina Fey, Bossypants Jamie Bridenstine... How do I even begin to explain Jamie Bridenstine. Jamie Bridenstine is flawless. She has two Fendi purses and a silver Lexus. I hear her hair's insured for $10,000. I hear she does car commercials... in Japan. Her favorite movie is Varsity Blues. One time, she met John Stamos on a plane. And he told her she was pretty. One time, she punched me in the face. It was awesome. Jamie Bridenstine is a 4th year undergrad at the University of Wyoming, earning her B.A. in Communication and a minor in Military Science. Her favorite move is Mean Girls... and any movie with Tina Fey in it. She enjoys deep conversations about politics, procrastinating on group projects, and watching The Office over and over again. Jamie has the cutest dog in the world, Timber, and is ready to take on the world after college. She will be heading up to Washington after graduation to pursue her career in the military... and hopefully her graduate degree in Public Relations.
Abbey is a senior at the University of Wyoming and is currently majoring in Journalism. She couldn't imagine a world without Jesus, coffee, The 1975, Twitter or her family. You'll usually find her at a concert or cafe somewhere, which is where she spends majority of her free-time. Talking to band members after their shows is a hobby, along with thrifting & indulging in all aspects of pop culture. After college, she plans to spend more time at concerts, getting paid to write about music and bands.