andrew neel z55CR d0ayg unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
andrew neel z55CR d0ayg unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Something Missing: Wanderlust After a Study Abroad

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Wyoming chapter.

It’s been over a year since I’ve returned from a study abroad to Germany. Some days, I wake up and feel like I’m missing a large piece of myself, which is weird because I was only there for 6 months. I dream of backpacking and exploring Europe, but when I wake up to Laramie, my heart feels a little sad. Laramie is where I need to be right now, so I don’t stay sad about not being on an adventure. However, I still always want to be on an adventure. There’s just something special about packing a bag and going somewhere.

Whenever I go on even the smallest trip I get extremely excited. I’m one of those weird people who loves flying anywhere and everywhere. The whole being in a confined space with a few hundred people who carry germs and spread them thing doesn’t disgust me the way it does most people, and I’ve probably picked up germs more than once from traveling. Like I said, I’m just weird. I could be flying thirty minutes or ten hours, and I still feel a certain joy that I don’t get from many other experiences. I get a similar feeling when someone drives me around. It’s just so relaxing and comforting. No joke, when my sister was learning to drive, I’d have her drive me around to help me sleep and help her get hours. I just like going places (like the Toyota commercials).

I suffer from wanderlust. As it turns out, this condition is fairly common. The need to travel has become a part of me in a way that at this point I’d sell all my stuff just to see everything. Experiences are more valuable than things as it turns out.

I’m still figuring out how to cope with having to stay in one place for long periods of time. I like the feeling of coming home enough, but it’s also nice when “home” becomes a different place. Don’t get me wrong, I love being near my family and friends. I just feel that no matter where I go, I can always return to see them, so I might as well go!

Emily Cornell

U Wyoming '17

Emily is a graduate of the University of Wyoming with a Bachelor's in Business Management and Master's in Communication. In terms of career, Emily interned for Wyoming Athletics, and wants to eventually work in sports marketing. When not working or in class, she can typically be found baking cheesecakes, drinking coffee, or having random adventures. If the idea of these three things seem exciting, you can follow her on Instagram or Twitter, username: emilproblems. 
Sarah Ott

U Wyoming

Sara is a senior Marketing major at the University of Wyoming. She is a Co-Founder and Campus Correspondent of Wyoming's Her Campus chapter, along with President of the Student Alumni Association, and Director of Marketing for ASUW Student Government. When she's not having mental breakdowns from stress, she enjoys cuddling with her roommate's cat and hiding under a mound of blankets. All she really wants is to live somewhere where it's warm year round and to not be berated for her massive tea consumption. To check out her ridiculous and crazy life, check out her Instagram, username: twigott