Six Reasons Why my Sixth State Champs Show was FIRE

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Wyoming chapter.

Sam took this picture, but this is the Champs crushin’ it on stage, as per usual.

I’m pretty sure it’s no secret that I’m an avid State Champs fan, so whenever they tour Denver I am SO there. Every one of their shows has been phenomenal, but this one was one of my favorites. Here’s a countdown of the six moments that made my sixth State Champs gig one to remember:

6) I went with a friend who is as passionate about concerts as I am: Though I have tons of friends I’ve gone to concerts with, this time, I went with my friend Sam who loves the concert atmosphere as much as I do, which isn’t a quality that is always easy to find in a person. We have so much fun together because we’re both so passionate about music and meeting the bands afterward and waiting in line beforehand. A concert can easily be ruined by the people around you, so going with Sam was such a blast because we are not afraid to dance our hardest and stay out super late talking with the bands that played and exchanging stories with them.

5) The merch was actually too gorgeous to resist: I almost always buy merch because I can’t help myself, but since I already have 5 different shirts from State Champs specifically, I was going to try to avoid buying another one because I  really don’t need it. Of course, when I saw the merch for this tour, I saw they had a lilac and black shirt which was so pretty that I couldn’t walk away. Not to mention, I love their merch guy, Horse, and had to give him a tip for being such a baller, which is something I do every show, whether I buy something or not. (Yes, I know the band’s crew too, it’s becoming a problem.)

4) Sitting in the balcony was one of the best decisions I’ve ever made: Usually I love being as close to the stage as possible and waiting in line for hours for my favorite bands. But, I knew the pit was going to be wild as they always are at pop-punk shows and I honestly just didn’t want to deal with it this time around. Not to mention, I’ve seen the guys live enough that it doesn’t matter where I am because I’m still apart of the crowd and will have a fun time. We decided to sit in the balcony and it was so nice. There was no pushing, it wasn’t overly hot and sweaty and my view was clear of any obstructions from tall humans or crazy fans. Plus, there was more than enough dancing room. It was so nice to just enjoy the music and see all of the members doing their thing on stage from up above.

3) One of the opening acts is another one of my favorite bands: This tour had three openers, one of them being With Confidence, an Australian pop-punk band I’ve loved for a while. I was just as pumped to see them live as I was the Champs, so it was truly a win-win for me. They played eight songs which just wasn’t enough but I danced so hard that I had to sit down during the next opener, Against the Current. They were so good live and I missed them so much since I last saw them at Warped Tour so it was so fun to enjoy them again. It’s not too often than the openers are another band that I’m an avid listener of so it was cool to have them on one tour. Not to mention, they’re so sweet, I chatted with them afterward and they signed my CD for me.

2) “Mind Bottled” was put on the set list: State Champs have been focusing a lot on their newer album Around the World and Back since its release in late 2015, so they only play the classics off of their debut album The Finer Things. Though I can’t complain because I love all of their songs no matter what, I was stoked when I found out “Mind Bottled” was on the set list. It’s an oldie but a goodie & I never thought they would play this song live. To see it for myself for the first time was so dope, it filled me with nostalgia because I think of when I first discovered the band and how much they’ve grown from then to now. Derek’s voice is stronger and raspier, the band has become more talented and I just can’t help but swell with pride over their growth. When they played this live it sounded so much better because all their improvements were obvious on stage versus the version on the album. It was definitely a cool moment that I’ll cherish forever.

1) I talk with the band like they were my old friends: Since I’ve seen these guys on every tour since 2015, they remember me and talk to me as if I’ve known them for years. I got the chance to talk with Ryan at their merch table before their set for like 10 minutes just about music, life and the tour. It felt like I was talking to one of my good friends and I just love that I always feel that way when I talk to all of them. After the show, I talked to Evan for a good 10 or 15 minutes too and I didn’t even have to finish my sentence about it being my sixth show before he said, “oh, I know, I’ve seen you around a lot. Glad to see you!” He even dropped everything to get my album signed by the whole band because some of them went to the bus. I find it so cool that they make the effort to know me and recognize me as an individual, it’s one of the biggest reasons why I always come back. I gave Derek some bags of Airheads, which is my little tradition because it’s his favorite candy and he was so stoked to see me and receive the candy. All in all, my interactions with the guys will always be some of my favorite memories of all time and it makes my love for the band so much larger.  These conversations just make me that much more excited for their next tour so I can say hi again.

Just me and Derek outside the bus. He was pumped about his Airheads, what a freakin’ cutie.                       

Ryan and I just chillin’ by merch. He gives the most bomb hugs and is also the most adorable man ever.

Abbey is a senior at the University of Wyoming and is currently majoring in Journalism. She couldn't imagine a world without Jesus, coffee, The 1975, Twitter or her family. You'll usually find her at a concert or cafe somewhere, which is where she spends majority of her free-time. Talking to band members after their shows is a hobby, along with thrifting & indulging in all aspects of pop culture. After college, she plans to spend more time at concerts, getting paid to write about music and bands.
Kaitlyn is a recent grad the University of Wyoming, where she got her degree in Marketing. She has been the Campus Correspondent for a Pink level chapter, a Chapter Advisor to some amazing chapters, and now has the pleasure of being a Region Leader. Born and raised on the Western Slope of Colorado, her love for nature and the outdoors comes naturally. Kaitlyn lives for football season, but finds way to stay preoccupied during the off-season. She enjoys long walks in the mountains, beer as cold as her heart, and bacon on her burgers. You can follow Kaitlyn’s adventures on Instagram, @kaysoup.