Senior Spotlight: Laurel Markert

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Wyoming chapter.

If you have never been in the same room as Laurel, you are missing out. This girl is a spitfire! She makes every meeting fun and enjoyable, and the best thing about her jokes are her own laugh that follows them. Laurel has covered topics most of us would never think of. She is always willing to help with events, and she isn’t afraid to draw people into them either. Laurel radiates confidence, and always shows up with a positive attitude. Meetings just won’t be the same without her this year. We are so lucky to have a bubble personality like you on our team, and we can’t wait to see where you go from here. 

Her Campus: What are your plans for after graduation?

Laurel Markert: Grad school at CSU and a volunteer EMT position in Fort Collins!

HC: What is your favorite UW related memory?

LM: My freshman year, two friends and I spent 45 minutes hiding in the shower, waiting to scare our RA sh*tless when she came around on DR. I have never heard anyone scream so loudly.

HC: What is your favorite HC  related memory?

LM: Every Monday, someone would ask “Oh, how’s everyone’s Monday been?” and inevitably, someone else would look up with a stone cold stare and flatly say “It’s been a Monday.” Every time.

HC: As a graduating senior, what advice would you give your freshman self?

LM: I wish I had been more confident. Like, if some girl is wearing a cute jacket, don’t be afraid to scream that at her from halfway across Prexy’s. If you worked hard in class, go argue for points with your prof. Ask why they took points off and if they will round up. Go to stuff off campus: improv, concerts, the Greenbelt.

HC: What will you miss most about college?

LM: The people I’ve come to love like family. I’ve made so many friends here and we’re all spreading across the world now. I mean, I know we have Facebook and Snap and everything, but that’s not the same as catching up at Turtle Rock. I’m already setting up Skype dates with people haha.

HC: Any final thoughts?

LM: Don’t be afraid of change. Change your major. Change apartments and friends and hobbies and favorite foods. You aren’t going to leave Laramie as the same person you came in as, and that’s okay. (:

Kaitlyn is a recent grad the University of Wyoming, where she got her degree in Marketing. She has been the Campus Correspondent for a Pink level chapter, a Chapter Advisor to some amazing chapters, and now has the pleasure of being a Region Leader. Born and raised on the Western Slope of Colorado, her love for nature and the outdoors comes naturally. Kaitlyn lives for football season, but finds way to stay preoccupied during the off-season. She enjoys long walks in the mountains, beer as cold as her heart, and bacon on her burgers. You can follow Kaitlyn’s adventures on Instagram, @kaysoup.