Saying Goodbye to a Legend

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Wyoming chapter.

Wyoming is the ideal state to support football teams, rodeo teams, and of course our UW athletics. But living here, originally from Virginia, I find there is a lack of knowledge, love, and appreciation for one of my favorite sports.

Although NASCAR only involves the coolest stock cars regularly turning left, and a brawl or two here and there, it is also regarded as a culture for many people.

This Sunday, Dale Earnhardt Jr. will be racing his final race at Homestead-Miami Speedway in the NASCAR Monster Energy Series. A long-standing Jr. fan, I know I will probably shed a tear or two watching him drive at the Ford Ecoboost 400.

Let’s look back on Dale Jr.’s amazing career.

It’s important to note that Jr.’s father, Earnhardt Sr., was one of the greatest racers to bless the sport. One of the worst days in NASCAR history happened on February 18, 2001, when Earnhardt crashed in the last lap of the Daytona 500 at the Daytona International Speedway in Florida. Earnhardt was pronounced dead later that day, from blunt force trauma, causing a basilar skull fracture.

Jr. finished second in that race. The next week at Rockingham, Jr. finished 43rd after wrecking on the first lap.

Throughout the 2001 season, Jr. came back, and upheld his father’s legacy at the Pepsi 400, also held at Daytona International Speedway.

In 2002, Jr. finished in 8th place for the season, with two wins at both Talladega races. In 2003, Jr. won at the Talladega races again, and won the Most Popular Driver of the Year Award.

From 2004 to 2007, Jr. continued to race for Dale Earnhardt, Inc., and had eight first place finishes. In 2008, Jr. switched over to Hendrick Motorsports and gave up his Budweiser #8 car in exchange for the #88 Amp Energy and National Guard cars.

In 2014, Jr. saw a first place win at Daytona, his second win at the racetrack. He won the Most popular Driver of the Year Award for the 12th year in a row.

2016 proved a difficult year for Jr. He suffered a concussion, diagnosed in July, and was replaced for the rest of the season by Alex Bowman and Jeff Gordon. Regardless, Jr. won the Most Popular Driver of the Year Award for the 16th consecutive time.

Which brings us to this year. Dale Jr.’s final year. Although he is not a playoff contender, I’m betting he’s going to win the Most Popular Driver of the Year Award again, bringing his amazing career to a finish.

We show #Appreci88ion for Dale Earnhardt Jr., and I will greatly miss the Earnhardt legacy in this great sport.

1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

cover

“Sometimes you want to have a very productive Saturday to feel that you are in control of your life, which of course you are not.” -Tina Fey, Bossypants Jamie Bridenstine... How do I even begin to explain Jamie Bridenstine. Jamie Bridenstine is flawless. She has two Fendi purses and a silver Lexus. I hear her hair's insured for $10,000. I hear she does car commercials... in Japan. Her favorite movie is Varsity Blues. One time, she met John Stamos on a plane. And he told her she was pretty. One time, she punched me in the face. It was awesome. Jamie Bridenstine is a 4th year undergrad at the University of Wyoming, earning her B.A. in Communication and a minor in Military Science. Her favorite move is Mean Girls... and any movie with Tina Fey in it. She enjoys deep conversations about politics, procrastinating on group projects, and watching The Office over and over again. Jamie has the cutest dog in the world, Timber, and is ready to take on the world after college. She will be heading up to Washington after graduation to pursue her career in the military... and hopefully her graduate degree in Public Relations.
Kaitlyn is a recent grad the University of Wyoming, where she got her degree in Marketing. She has been the Campus Correspondent for a Pink level chapter, a Chapter Advisor to some amazing chapters, and now has the pleasure of being a Region Leader. Born and raised on the Western Slope of Colorado, her love for nature and the outdoors comes naturally. Kaitlyn lives for football season, but finds way to stay preoccupied during the off-season. She enjoys long walks in the mountains, beer as cold as her heart, and bacon on her burgers. You can follow Kaitlyn’s adventures on Instagram, @kaysoup.