RSO Spotlight: The Student Center for the Public Trust

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Wyoming chapter.

This week we want to highlight the Student Center for the Public Trust, a new RSO on campus. We interviewed Matt Schlanger , senior  accounting major,  who is the president of this newfound RSO, and helped bring  it to our campus.

Her Campus: Tell us a little about yourself.

Matthew Schlanger: I’m a Senior Accounting student graduating this May and will be heading into the Masters of Accounting program this fall. I had the opportunity to attend the national Student Center for the Public Trust leadership conference in the Summer of 2016. Ever since that conference I have had a passion for spreading the ideals of creating stronger more ethical leaders on campus.

HC: What is the Student Center for Public Trust?

MS: The Student Center for the Public Trust is a student organization that focuses on educating and promoting ethical leadership for student of all majors.

HC: Why is this beneficial for a student’s future?

MS: Students not only have the opportunity to get a certification from the NASBA (National Association of State Boards of Accountancy) Center for the Public Trust signifying the dedication and commitment to being an ethical leader; it also offers the opportunity for students to come together and discuss ethical dilemmas. Most students who go fresh into the workforce probably don’t realize that they will also be faced with an ethical dilemma in their career. Our goal is to provide students with the tools to face those dilemmas and make the best decision possible.

HC: Who can join?

MS: Any student at the University of Wyoming.

HC: Why would you encourage someone to join?

MS: I would encourage a student to join because we are promoting growth and leadership skills that translate to not only work life but personal life as well. There is the opportunity to get a certification in ethical leadership from a highly regarded professional organization, as a group we will develop the skills necessary to work through tough situations and ethical gray areas, and opportunities to give back to our community in the form of service. Also, we provide food.

HC: When are your meetings?

MS: Our meetings are on Wednesday evenings at 6:00 PM in Business Room 110. We hold meetings roughly every 2-3 weeks.

HC: Anything else you’d like to tell us?

MS: I really encourage anyone at all who is interested in growing as a leader to consider at least attending our meetings. We have a great opportunity to go out into the world after leaving the University of Wyoming and immediately take on leadership roles. Our organization will provide those who attend and participate another tool to help deal with ethical dilemmas as a leader. These are tools that are important enough that students from every major and college at our University should take advantage.

Kaitlyn is a recent grad the University of Wyoming, where she got her degree in Marketing. She has been the Campus Correspondent for a Pink level chapter, a Chapter Advisor to some amazing chapters, and now has the pleasure of being a Region Leader. Born and raised on the Western Slope of Colorado, her love for nature and the outdoors comes naturally. Kaitlyn lives for football season, but finds way to stay preoccupied during the off-season. She enjoys long walks in the mountains, beer as cold as her heart, and bacon on her burgers. You can follow Kaitlyn’s adventures on Instagram, @kaysoup.