RSO Spotlight: 7220 Entertainment

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Wyoming chapter.

If you are looking to get involved on campus, how about planning some of the big events that go on throughout the year with 7220 Entertainment. 7220 Entertainment began in Fall 2016; however, it originally consisted of 4 different programming boards Student Activities Council, Concerts & Convocations, Friday Night Fever, and Visual & Cultural Arts. In order to promote events as a whole, the boards were combined and turned into 7220 Entertainment with 5 subcommittees. We interviewed the coordinators of 7220 Entertainment, Channing Downing (Late Night Events), Gabriel Lattimer (Films), Julie Curtis (Weekly Events), and Danielle Smith (Large Scale Events, to learn more.

Her Campus: What is 7220 Entertainment?

7220 Entertainment: 7220 Entertainment is the University of Wyoming’s campus programming board paid for, intended for, and run by students on campus, and provides on campus entertainment and enrichment opportunities for students. It is made up of five committees, Weekly Events, Films, Large Scale Events, Late Night Events, and Fine Arts & Lectures, that plan social, recreational, and cultural events to enhance students co-curricular experience.

HC: What made you want to become a part of 7220 Ent.?

7220: Late Night Events Coordinator: I wanted to join 7220 for professional development reasons as I am a business major but want specifically to go into event planning and marketing in my future career. I also wanted to join 7220 because during my freshman year, I didn’t get involved because I was so overwhelmed by the college experience as a first generation student and other personal stuff that I realized I didn’t really have a place I felt like I belonged or had friends and knew that 7220 had a very welcoming and supportive atmosphere that liked to have fun.

Films Coordinator: The scale and scope of projects with which 7220 Entertainment is involved. I am constantly impressed with volunteer and coordinator projects.

Large Scale Events Coordinator: To get involved on campus and meet amazing people.

Weekly Events Coordinator: I wanted to get involved in an organization that would look good on my resume, but would still be fun to do while making friends.

HC: How long have you been involved with the programming boards?

7220:

LNEC: 3 years.

FC: 1 year

LSEC: 3 years

WE: 3 years

HC: How can other students get involved?

7220: Students can get involved by stopping by any committees weekly meetings (times shown below), stopping by the Campus Activities Center (Union 012), speaking with one of the coordinators, or following our social media platforms.

You can also stop by this Wednesday, January 25th at 5 pm for a General Interest Meeting in Pete’s Game Room.

Weekly Events Committee meets every Monday at 4 :15 pm

Fine Arts & Lectures Committee meets every Monday at 5 pm

Late Night Events Committee meets every Wednesday at 2 pm

Films Committee meets every Wednesday at 4 pm

Large Scale Events Committee meets every Wednesday at 6 pm  

HC: What will students gain from being involved in 7220 Ent.?

7220: Students will gain the experience and skills in the planning and executing a variety of events that are for the university and surrounding Laramie community, which serves as a professional development opportunity. There is also an opportunity for students to work or intern with 7220 Ent. and have hands on experience in leading a committee. Students will also be involved in a fun environment where you can discuss and advocate for your favorite pop culture artists, and will create memories and relationships not only for event attendees, but for members as well.

HC: What are some of the events for Spring Semester?

7220:

Late Night Events Committee:

Game Night Jan. 28th @ 9 pm

Mardi Gras Feb. 18th @ 9 pm

Weekly Events Committee:

Trivia Night Jan 25th @ 8 pm

Frank Waln Feb. 1st @ 8 pm Sierra Hull Feb. 8th @ 8 pm

Films Committee:

Loving Feb. 3rd @ 6 pm

Fantastic Beasts/Doctor Strange Double Feature Feb. 24th

Student Short Film Festival Apr. 21st & 22nd

Fine Arts and Lectures Committee:

Gallery 234: When Do We Start Judging (Jan. 23rd-Feb. 9th) Reception on Feb. 2nd   6pm-8pm

Gallery 234: I Am (Feb. 13th – Mar. 2nd) Reception on Feb 17th   6pm-8pm

Step Afrika! (Mar. 4th)

Large Scale Events Committee:

It’s a surprise, but be looking out for an announcement soon.  

HC: Is there anything else you would like to share?

7220:

FC: 7220 Entertainment promotes goals, projects, and skills that translate well on a resume.

LSEC: The overall experience is something you don’t want to miss out on in your college experience.

WEC: I would say to any student, that if they are looking to get involved on campus, they should definitely try out 7220 Entertainment. The experience and memories that I have gained by just trying out an organization has been some of the best from my college career.

Kaitlyn is a recent grad the University of Wyoming, where she got her degree in Marketing. She has been the Campus Correspondent for a Pink level chapter, a Chapter Advisor to some amazing chapters, and now has the pleasure of being a Region Leader. Born and raised on the Western Slope of Colorado, her love for nature and the outdoors comes naturally. Kaitlyn lives for football season, but finds way to stay preoccupied during the off-season. She enjoys long walks in the mountains, beer as cold as her heart, and bacon on her burgers. You can follow Kaitlyn’s adventures on Instagram, @kaysoup.