Reasons Why High School Musical 4 is a Bad Idea

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Wyoming chapter.

Word on the street is that Disney Channel is working on making a new movie that happens to carry on one of the most legendary movie trilogies the program has ever made. As if High School Musical 1, 2 and 3 weren’t cool enough, they want to make a fourth. I would love to see the Wildcats back together again for a “where are they now?” type of movie, but I don’t think this is the plan Disney has for HSM4. Here’s all the reasons why this new addition to the original movies is the WORST idea ever.

A New Cast: Okay, what the actual hell were they thinking by deciding on a new cast?! The cast of the first three movies were the stars that the kids of the 90s/early 2000s grew up on. They were the faces of Disney. Now they just want to pick some new random people to play the original cast? Do they not realize they have to replace ZAC EFRON? I repeat: ZAC. EFRON. Oh Disney, a face like that cannot be replaced no matter what you say. Goodbye, ratings.

Troy and Gabriella: This couple made everyone believe love was real. When Gabriella took off her ‘T’ necklace in HSM2, you knew shit was going down and your heart was ripped out of your chest. But, you were relieved when she bombed the summer talent show and we knew she couldn’t walk away. Not to mention he followed her out to Stanford by going to a nearby university in HSM3. Now that love was REAL. I think it’s safe to say that their relationship cannot and will not be remade. I refuse to believe they’ll throw in some actors that try to bring back the same magic Zac and Vanessa did for those movies. TROY AND GABRIELLA FOREVER.

Too Late? : It’s been eight years since the release of the final installment, High School Musical 3: Senior Year. Why do they just now want to make a fourth movie? All the cast is older, more successful with hot OTPs (helloooooo Austin Butler) and probably over their past as a Disney star. I guess that’s why Disney wants a new cast, but who will watch if all the original fans of the series are all mostly grown up and moved on? The kids that will watch it now have NO CLUE how lit those movies were when they first came out, and will probably have no idea what’s happening in the fourth one. Way to wait almost a decade Disney, smartest decision ever, really.

Unbelievably High Standards: Sure, looking back on those movies as an adult makes you realize how cheesy they actually were. The acting is hilarious and the songs are cheesy, but for some reason, it’s impossible to grow out of them. If you haven’t sung one song from any of the movies since they’ve been released then you’re totally lying and I won’t believe that you haven’t. With this fourth one, they have big shoes to fill. I have this feeling that Disney will hire try-hards because they feel the need to live up to the characters Zac, Vanessa and Ashley created so well and it’s going to flop. You just can’t do it the same, it’s doomed before the start. I can just see it now, some young new actor or actress trying to be as hot as the original Troy (which no one can outdo Zac Efron.) or try to pull off Gabriella’s high pitched voice. I AM ALREADY CRINGING.

As much as I love High School Musical, three was enough: They’re beating a dead horse here. There were three movies that were all awesome and provided the closure us die-hard fans needed. Four movies would be overkill. I could see a “Where are they Now?” like I said before, but if it’s something like “HSM4: The College Years” I will throw up.

I’m not willing to share the HSM love with other generations: Yes, you read that right. I don’t want to share! Those movies were the epitome of my childhood/preteen years. All the kids watching Disney now need to GET THEIR OWN OBSESSION. They could be more original and create movies that the kids watching can cherish later like our generation with these HSM movies. I mean Disney stinks now because Miley, Zac, Ashley, the Jonas Brothers and Selena Gomez are gone, but I’m sure they could figure something out. They need to keep HSM to the 90s/2000s kids. The REAL fans. Maybe I’m too heated, considering I’m what they call “adult” now and I don’t want to let these things go. Regardless, HSM4 is an awful idea and I know I’m not the only one.

Abbey is a senior at the University of Wyoming and is currently majoring in Journalism. She couldn't imagine a world without Jesus, coffee, The 1975, Twitter or her family. You'll usually find her at a concert or cafe somewhere, which is where she spends majority of her free-time. Talking to band members after their shows is a hobby, along with thrifting & indulging in all aspects of pop culture. After college, she plans to spend more time at concerts, getting paid to write about music and bands.
Sarah Ott

U Wyoming

Sara is a senior Marketing major at the University of Wyoming. She is a Co-Founder and Campus Correspondent of Wyoming's Her Campus chapter, along with President of the Student Alumni Association, and Director of Marketing for ASUW Student Government. When she's not having mental breakdowns from stress, she enjoys cuddling with her roommate's cat and hiding under a mound of blankets. All she really wants is to live somewhere where it's warm year round and to not be berated for her massive tea consumption. To check out her ridiculous and crazy life, check out her Instagram, username: twigott