Culture > News

The Reason Why You Saw So Many White Blazers at the SOTU

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Wyoming chapter.

On June 4th, 1919, the 19th Amendment was ratified into the Constitution. This year marks the 100th anniversary that women gained the right to vote.

The Democratic women of the House of Representatives all decided to wear “suffragette white” in solidarity of the 100th anniversary during President donald Trump’s State of the Union Tuesday Night.

Lois Frankel (D. Florida), chair of the Democratic Women’s Working Group, suggested that the women wear white to commemorate the suffrage movement. But coordinated outfits is not a trait particular to last night’s SOTU; Democratic women wore all-white outfits to Trump’s first public address before a joint session of the United States Congress on Tuesday, February 28, 2017. The second occurrence was when democratic women wore all black in the 2018 SOTU in solidarity with the #MeToo movement.

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D. New York) voiced her take on the movement of solidarity, saying, “I wore all-white today to honor the women who paved the path before me, and for all the women yet to come. From suffragettes to Shirley Chisholm, I wouldn’t be here if it wasn’t for the mothers of the movement.”

Nancy Pelosi assumed officer on January 3 of this year as Speaker of the House. Since then, she has been completely against Trump’s border wall, not giving in to his power of persuasion as the government shut down over the decision to fund -or not fund- the wall.

After being elected, Pelosi spoke about being elected as the SoH. “It gives me pride to be the woman Speaker of the House of this Congress, which marks 100 years since women won the right to vote, and as we serve with more than 100 women.”

It’s true that more than 100 women serve in the House, as well as more people of color than ever being elected. The first two Native American women were elected this year; Deb Haaland (D. New Mexico), and Sharice Davids (R. Kansas), as well as the first two Muslim women; Rashida Tlaib (D. Michigan) and Ilhan Omar (D. Minnesota).

Carol Miller (R. West Virginia) puts it best when she talks about being a woman in Congress. “I’m a wife, a mother, a grandmother, a business owner and a bison farmer. I don’t think my gender defines who I am, but it does add value and perspective to the decisions I make.”

And not just the women of congress showed their solidarity; House Majority Leader Steny Hoyer (D. Maryland) handed out white ribbons to male congress members in support of the anniversary.

1, 2, 3

1

1
“Sometimes you want to have a very productive Saturday to feel that you are in control of your life, which of course you are not.” -Tina Fey, Bossypants Jamie Bridenstine... How do I even begin to explain Jamie Bridenstine. Jamie Bridenstine is flawless. She has two Fendi purses and a silver Lexus. I hear her hair's insured for $10,000. I hear she does car commercials... in Japan. Her favorite movie is Varsity Blues. One time, she met John Stamos on a plane. And he told her she was pretty. One time, she punched me in the face. It was awesome. Jamie Bridenstine is a 4th year undergrad at the University of Wyoming, earning her B.A. in Communication and a minor in Military Science. Her favorite move is Mean Girls... and any movie with Tina Fey in it. She enjoys deep conversations about politics, procrastinating on group projects, and watching The Office over and over again. Jamie has the cutest dog in the world, Timber, and is ready to take on the world after college. She will be heading up to Washington after graduation to pursue her career in the military... and hopefully her graduate degree in Public Relations.
Hailee Riddle

U Wyoming '20

Writing is hard, but I love it. "Little girls with dreams become women with vision." HC U Wyoming Writing since 2016