Books On A Shelf
Books On A Shelf
Breanna Coon / Her Campus
Wellness > Mental Health

Perspective Changing Quote of the Month

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Wyoming chapter.

At this period of consummation in my educational career, I find myself particularly sensitive to profound statements. Maybe I feel particularly educated, or maybe I am just trying to find philosophical explanation for the uncertainty that lies ahead. Either way, this month, the phrase that is sticking with me comes from Dale Carnegie’s book, “How to Win Friends & Influence People”. The lines jumping from the page read,

“Education is the ability to meet life’s situations” (Carnegie, xxi).

This quote comes from former president of Princeton University, Dr. John G. Hibben. While it seems, for a university president, that Dr. Hibben is oversimplifying the benefits of education, he is entirely right. In my years moving through the education system, all classroom experiences culminate into the basic teaching of overcoming inconveniences, problems, and challenges with understanding information, colleagues, seniors, and our own minds.

Unsplash
To me, this quote sums up the changes we all face in the education system and the confidence we should feel as we take on the next stages of life. I may sound like I’m on a soapbox of sentimental feeling but since reading Carnegie’s book, my perspective of important life skills has shifted.

“Education is the ability to meet life’s situations”. Aptly significant as we start this spring semester in education. This month, I am challenging myself to trust my ability to meet life’s situations, after all, I do consider myself an educated woman.

Halie Mcgough

U Wyoming '20

Hi! My name is Halie. I am studying communication and marketing at the University of Wyoming, hoping to move into a career in small business marketing, non profit, and health communications.
Hailee Riddle

U Wyoming '20

Writing is hard, but I love it. "Little girls with dreams become women with vision." HC U Wyoming Writing since 2016