The Perks of Having Guy Friends (As Told by Jessica Day)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Wyoming chapter.

I like to think I’m lucky to have the friends I do. Luckier than most, to have three men who love me. Mental breakdowns and all, they have stuck with me through some of the hardest times of my life. In the past, I’ve read many articles, and watched many movies that say men and women can never EVER be friends. I’m here to tell you that what you’ve heard before is not true (most of the time); and that having guy best friends is the best thing that can happen to anyone, and by anyone I mean me; but who knows, it could be for you too.

1. Contrary to popular belief, there is still “Period Talk”.  A lot of it.

and although they like to act disgusted, I’ve realized that it’s mostly them who bring up the bloody topic (pun intended).

2. They notice when you are dressed up.

a subtle compliment about your appearance here and there doesn’t hurt.

3. But they don’t care if you look like you just rolled out of bed.

because chances are you did…

4. There is no beating around the bush.

you want the truth? You got it!

5. Creepy dudes at parties don’t bother you,

because if your friends sense discomfort, they will appear next to you in .07 seconds

6. They encourage you to go after that guy you’ve been crushing on.

even if that means yelling “NO BALLS!” from across the room. At least they tried.

7. They give the best hugs EVER.

no explanation needed.

8. You are no longer surprised to see a half-naked guy standing in front of you.

(sorry mom.)

9. You never knew a little TLC could feel this good.

nothing compares to having your favorite cookie brought to you after a stressful day.

10. You finally met someone as weird, if not weirder than you.

and you love it!

11. They love you unconditionally,

no questions asked, expecting nothing in return.

12. You miss them when they’re not there.

“It’s been a whole day and I’m dying to tell you about the cute puppy I saw on campus!”

13. They help decipher that strange message you received from a guy.

He said “We should hang out sometime”, what does this mean?!?!?!

14. They know that guy’s intentions and tell you about it.

Because the last thing they need is a Nicholas Sparks movie marathon when you get your heart broken.

15. But they will not leave your side when you need them,

not even when you tell them that you’ll be ok.

16. They will show you the kind of guy you should be with,

but they will hate him regardless, or love him (there’s no in-between)

17. You never knew silence was such good therapy.

All they have to do is stare at you until you’re ready to talk about how you feel.

18. They will make you a more confident person,

because your favorite hobbies include roasting one another.

19. You will never question your friendship.

since it’s obvious they love you as much as you love them.

20. Hearing them laugh at your jokes will feel like the biggest accomplishment,

and trust me, it is.

21. Sometimes they make your life miserable,

but it wouldn’t feel like life without them.

Sarah Ott

U Wyoming

Sara is a senior Marketing major at the University of Wyoming. She is a Co-Founder and Campus Correspondent of Wyoming's Her Campus chapter, along with President of the Student Alumni Association, and Director of Marketing for ASUW Student Government. When she's not having mental breakdowns from stress, she enjoys cuddling with her roommate's cat and hiding under a mound of blankets. All she really wants is to live somewhere where it's warm year round and to not be berated for her massive tea consumption. To check out her ridiculous and crazy life, check out her Instagram, username: twigott