To My Step Dad On Father’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Wyoming chapter.

On this day, we celebrate fathers everywhere. But for the past eight years, I have celebrated you as my father. With each passing year, I grow more grateful for this fact. With each passing year, I appreciate you more. I am grateful to have you, not only as my mother’s husband, but also as my father. So this father’s day I want to thank you.

Thank you for loving my mother. Thank you for taking her from the dark places she’s been, and loving her for better or worse. Thank you for giving her a reason to smile and laugh, daily. Never have I seen my mother smile the way she does with you. It took you coming into our chaotic world to realize that my mother didn’t know true happiness and affection until you. While no marriage is perfect, you have taught me that problems can be solved without yelling, love doesn’t go to bed angry, and that smart-ass comments can get you out of (most) trouble.

Thank you for taking on dad duties, and rocking them every step of the way. Thank you for being my shoulder to cry on when boys were dumb, and giving dating advice like, “You can polish a turd, but it’s still a piece of shit.” Also, thanks for being on my side when mom gets on one of her “boyfriend/husband/grandchildren” rants. (Love you, mom.) Thank you for teaching me how to park a trailer, fix my truck, and the difference between a Phillips and a flathead.

Thank you for coming into my life and staying. You came into my life during the most terrifying time you could – the teenage years. While I was busy being angry at the world, you were busy showing me more patience than I knew a person could possess. When I rebelled or acted out, it was you who was there. Not with scornful words, or anger, but with arms open and advice on deck. You taught me that mistakes are part of being a human, and you loved me all the same through them.

But most of all, thank you for choosing me, day after day. I know I have never made your job easy (sorry about the grey hair..) but no matter what, you have loved me all the same. You have been the best dad I ever could’ve asked for. I love knowing that it will be you, one day, who walks me down the aisle.  And that it will be you my children call grandpa. Thank you for raising me into the woman I am today, and supporting me every step of the way. I wouldn’t be half as strong, motivated, or independent as I am, if you didn’t encourage me at a younger age to be those things. I will never be able to fully express how truly grateful I am for you.

So on that note, Happy Father’s Day. I love you, Dad.

Kaitlyn is a recent grad the University of Wyoming, where she got her degree in Marketing. She has been the Campus Correspondent for a Pink level chapter, a Chapter Advisor to some amazing chapters, and now has the pleasure of being a Region Leader. Born and raised on the Western Slope of Colorado, her love for nature and the outdoors comes naturally. Kaitlyn lives for football season, but finds way to stay preoccupied during the off-season. She enjoys long walks in the mountains, beer as cold as her heart, and bacon on her burgers. You can follow Kaitlyn’s adventures on Instagram, @kaysoup.
Sarah Ott

U Wyoming

Sara is a senior Marketing major at the University of Wyoming. She is a Co-Founder and Campus Correspondent of Wyoming's Her Campus chapter, along with President of the Student Alumni Association, and Director of Marketing for ASUW Student Government. When she's not having mental breakdowns from stress, she enjoys cuddling with her roommate's cat and hiding under a mound of blankets. All she really wants is to live somewhere where it's warm year round and to not be berated for her massive tea consumption. To check out her ridiculous and crazy life, check out her Instagram, username: twigott