My Most Anticipated Music Releases for 2017

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Wyoming chapter.

I have a good feeling about 2017 when it comes to music. Almost all of my favorite bands haven’t put anything out recently, which means 2017 is most likely their year. I spent the first couple weeks of the new year thinking about all the releases I just cannot wait for so I could compile them into this article.  Here are 10 of my most anticipated releases for this year:

1. All Time Low: (rumored, but probably happening) This is probably my most anticipated release of all, even if we have almost no information. It’s been nearly 2 years since their last album “Future Hearts” came out and the lack of new music from them is killing me. I know they were in the studio a lot for the second half of 2016 and they haven’t played in Denver since 2015, so a girl can only hope that they have an album waiting for us. I don’t know what to expect, but I’m sure I’ll love it because, well, it’s All Time Low.

2. Neck Deep: (rumored) Once again, I am unsure as to whether or not this band full of powerful pop-punk anthems will release anything, but I’ve seen plenty of rumors about it all over Twitter. I’ve also seen some Instagram posts and Snapchats of them in the studio so it has to be coming sometime soon, right? I love these guys so much and they haven’t been on tour in a minute, so hopefully that means they’re spending their down time making new music and planning a tour before. I’ll be waiting patiently for new information in the meantime.

3. Halsey: (sometime in 2017) As I sit here and type this up, Halsey announced on Twitter that she will be on the Fifty Shades Darker soundtrack. Obviously, we are getting a new song in a matter of days, but an album is still not being discussed too much. She said at the end of her Badlands Second Installment tour that she would “see us in the Garden” and that it would be in 2017. I’ve been refreshing Twitter like a madwoman in hopes she’d have more clues for us. I do know she has been in the studio despite her battle with Endometriosis that just required she have surgery, so I’m hoping that once she recovers she will have a release date set. Until then, you can find me playing her new track for Fifty Shades over and over again because we all know it’s going to be amazing.

4. Pvris: (rumored) Pvris have also been in the studio writing again for what we assume is this year, but they haven’t given us much to go on either. (Are you sensing a pattern?) Lynn Gunn, the band’s lead singer, has been talking about how good their new tracks have been as she’s recording, so the projected release time has to be right around the corner. I know this band is going to kill it either way, so I’m very excited for this sophomore album.

5. The Maine: (VERY SOON, I hope.) The Maine have been ever so kind to take us along on their journey for album 6, with a documentary series called Miserable Youth on YouTube as well as frequent updates on Twitter and Instagram. We know that the album is done and ready for release, but they have yet to give us any name of the album or when we’ll actually be able to buy it. It’s absolute torture because I have been wanting this album since Warped Tour last summer. According to the band, it’s a mix of Forever Halloween and American Candy, which are my two favorite albums. With that in mind, you probably know that I am a distraught mess not knowing when I’ll be able to get my hands on this album and find out what this combination sounds like. I pray that within the next month I’ll know the plan for this release or own it already. (Let’s hope for the latter.)

6. LANY: (This year for sure) When I went to the Kinda tour date in Denver back in October, I preordered LANY’s debut album at their merch table. The preorder is for 2017 and the “Zine” it came with said it would be out at some point this year. Again, social media has been so helpful in showing us that they have been in the studio, so it’s definitely in the works. I’m predicting the album drops this summer, maybe even early fall, judging by the progress I’m seeing from the band. Regardless, I cannot wait for this album because it’s their first one ever. I’ve listened to their EP’s countless times and if their new stuff is at least similar to what they have out already, I’m going to be one happy girl.

7. Knuckle Puck: (Soon?) I’m honestly so unsure of what’s happening in Knuckle Puck’s world right now. I know they’ve been in the studio and I know they have plans for a release this year but that’s all I have. I loved Copacetic so much, so I can’t wait to see what they come up with next. I love this band so much and I know they’re going to nail it no matter what.

8. Broadside: (March or April) According to Alternative Press, Broadside will have an album for us very soon and I am so ready. They’re a band I just got into, but I already want more. “Old Bones” was such a good album to debut, I hope their second album continues on this path. It’s so classic in terms of pop-punk and their lyrics are so strong. This album will be a huge success for this band, I can feel it.

9. Hey Violet: (Spring) I’ll be honest; Hey Violet was a band that I didn’t like at all at first. But, when they released “Brand New Moves”, the band’s second EP, it really showed their maturity as a band and I like it a lot. I’m stoked to hear their debut album if they have plans for it to sound like “Brand New Moves” because it’s perfectly fun and with that catchy alt-pop sound. I hope that they release this album very soon, because the more I think about it, the more excited I am to see what they come up with.

10. Paramore: (we don’t know but we are STOKED) For my final pick, I give you Paramore. This band was the one that opened my eyes up to the world that is pop-punk & Hayley Williams was my hero in junior high. Paramore brought me to All Time Low, which brought me to State Champs, which brought me to Neck Deep, etc., etc. To hear and see Hayley in the studio made me so happy I almost cried. It’s been so long since Paramore has released anything and I honestly thought the band was retired. We have no idea as to when this release could happen, as it is literally just a rumor but I hope that it’s soon because I’m in desperate need of some new P-more.
Abbey is a senior at the University of Wyoming and is currently majoring in Journalism. She couldn't imagine a world without Jesus, coffee, The 1975, Twitter or her family. You'll usually find her at a concert or cafe somewhere, which is where she spends majority of her free-time. Talking to band members after their shows is a hobby, along with thrifting & indulging in all aspects of pop culture. After college, she plans to spend more time at concerts, getting paid to write about music and bands.
Kaitlyn is a recent grad the University of Wyoming, where she got her degree in Marketing. She has been the Campus Correspondent for a Pink level chapter, a Chapter Advisor to some amazing chapters, and now has the pleasure of being a Region Leader. Born and raised on the Western Slope of Colorado, her love for nature and the outdoors comes naturally. Kaitlyn lives for football season, but finds way to stay preoccupied during the off-season. She enjoys long walks in the mountains, beer as cold as her heart, and bacon on her burgers. You can follow Kaitlyn’s adventures on Instagram, @kaysoup.