This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Wyoming chapter.

Scary movies are essential for getting in the Halloween spirit. I haven’t had much time to watch movies lately, but I plan to binge some scary movies tonight. If you’re looking for some great scary movies, here are some of my favorites:

1. Get Out

Ok, I love this movie. So much so that I wrote a 15 page paper about it for a class. I don’t want to give too much away if you haven’t seen it yet, but basically, it’s about a Black man meeting his white girlfriend’s family for the first time. I was totally thrown for a loop during this movie. At no point did I know what was going to happen, and I was shocked about how everything unfolded! 

2. Us

So basically, I’m just a big fan of Jordan Peele. This movie would not leave my mind for days after I watched it. I did extensive research online trying to put everything together. I think that’s a sign of a great movie! The premise is the horror of seeing your own doppelganger. It starts with a family confronted with each of their doppelgangers, but things get way crazier from there. No description I could give would do this movie justice! You just have to check it out. 

3. The Shining

This is a horror movie classic that everyone should watch. It’s about a family that takes care of a hotel in the winter when it’s closed. The cinematography of this movie is incredible, and there are some super creepy moments.

4. Hereditary

I think of all the scary movies I have seen before, this one scared me the most. It creeped me out to my core! It’s about a family haunted by a mysterious presence after their grandmother dies. There’s one scene in particular that wouldn’t leave my head for days. You’ll know when you see it. If you’re ready to be scared, this is the movie for you!

5. Split

Split definitely keeps you on the edge of your seat, but also includes some moments of humor which somehow work. It’s about a man with multiple personalities who kidnaps three teenage girls and keeps them in an underground facility. The best part of this movie is definitely James McAvoy’s acting.

Elizabeth Mertz

U Wyoming '21

Liz is a junior at the University of Wyoming studying English Education. She's a book enthusiast, Spotify playlist creator, and movie buff. Her life goals include traveling as much as she can afford to and being an awesome teacher.