palace theatre signage 3004075?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
palace theatre signage 3004075?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Felicity Warner / HCM

The Movies I am Excited for in 2020

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Wyoming chapter.

2020 is going to be a good year to go to the movies. All the reboots and sequels are coming out this year as well as new movies with women in the leading roles! So let’s just get right into it. 

Meryl Streep Yes Gif
Giphy

1. Birds of Prey

This movie just came out this weekend and I haven’t seen it yet, but I absolutely love superhero movies. I especially love superhero movies with heroes with questionable morals and women in the lead. I am excited to see what the DC universe does with the characters that have not necessarily been in their movies yet, and Harley Quinn’s new single woman trajectory. I loved the Suicide Squad movie from 2016 and thought it was a nice break from the usually darker DC movies. I am also excited to see the big screen debut of Black Canary and the Huntress, because as a fan of Arrow I want to see those characters in a new form. 

2. Mulan

I am so excited for the new live action Mulan movie! I completely love the Disney live action kick and I feel Mulan will be the perfect addition to the franchise. I love that they are taking a more traditional turn in the movie and following the legend a bit more. I love the addition of the hawk being a witch and her sidekick being a phoenix instead of a dragon. The lack of love interest in the movie has been a point of contention amongst some girls, but I personally applaud it and think there needs to be more of that in Disney movies. (Disney please make a live action Brave). 

3. No Time to Die

As someone who describes themselves as a fake James Bond fan I am sufficiently excited for this new installment in the movies. I do not know a lot about the series or how this movie fits in with all of the other movies (hence the title of fake James Bond fan). But I am excited for the strong female characters that seem to be in it, the overall Britishness of this movie, Rami Malek, and the fact that Ben Wishaw is coming back as Q. 

4. Black Widow

Again, I am so excited for this stand alone superhero movie with a female lead. I have been waiting for the Black Widow movie since it was announced years ago. I am looking forward to seeing the kind of development that Black Widow goes through between Civil War and Infinity War. I am also so hyped for David Harbour and Florence Pugh to make an appearance as her father and sister. All I have to say is if her anyone in her little family dies I will scream and throw hands in the theater. 

5. Wonder Woman 1984

For the third time I am so excited about this stand alone female led superhero movie. Wonder Woman is going to be so badass, and Kristen Wiig as the main villain will be so good. I am excited for the 80s theme of the movie and Chris Pine to make an appearance again. I am also excited for more Amazonian badassery and the potential new uniform without the wedges. 

6. Ghostbusters: Afterlife

This movie will be the best 20 year follow up to a series that I have ever seen. I am so excited for all the traditional characters to come back (Bill Murray yess), and all the new characters. Finn Wolfhard will be good for the pseudo horror 80s themed movie because obviously he is good in Stranger Things. I am so excited for the younger sister to take her grandfather’s place as a ghostbuster. AND I am so excited for the Paul Rudd as a science teacher who helps them along in their journey. I hope this movie will not disappoint, unlike the Jurassic Park to Jurassic World franchise. 

Happy movie watching!

Annie Stratton

U Wyoming '20

History Major at University of Wyoming The nerdiest of nerds Movie Lover Hufflepuff to the core Avid DisneyBounder "How wonderful the color yellow is. It stands for the sun." -Vincent Van Gogh
Hailee Riddle

U Wyoming '20

Writing is hard, but I love it. "Little girls with dreams become women with vision." HC U Wyoming Writing since 2016