Miley Cyrus Makes “Her-Story” on “The Voice”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Wyoming chapter.

As we all tuned into Tuesday night’s episode of “The Voice,” we were all eager to see if singer and former Disney Channel star would make history- excuse me- her-story by having the first all female team.

Miley showed complete girl power when picking her 12 leading ladies. An avid follower of “The Voice,” I’m definitely going to be keeping up with this powerhouse of a team.

Addison Agen​

I had to wipe the tears from my eyes as I watched Addison Agen’s audition. The 16 year old from Fort Wayne, Indiana, poured so much emotion into her audition song, “Jolene.” While judge Adam Levine swooned complimented her by saying she “[is] the most powerful person [her] age… maybe even since Danielle Bradbery,” Miley Cyrus won her over by saying, “I feel like I can really relate to you in a way that Adam can’t. I’ve been on that stage singing with a voice that felt like I’ve been through a lot.”

Watch her audition here.  

Sophia Bollman​

Cyrus hit her buzzer just in time to turn around to Sophia Bollman. The 18 year old from Norco, California, Bollman took the stage with the song “Invincible.” I knew from the start that between Cyrus and Blake Shelton, Bollman would choose Cyrus as her judge. Bollman made the joke that Shelton “would be a cool dad,” and afterwards made the decision to join Team Miley.

Watch her audition here.

Ashland Craft

Singing the children’s hit “You Are My Sunshine,” but revamped into a country sound, Craft blew the judges away with her raspy, old timey voice. The 21 year old from Piedmont, South Carolina, received chair turns from Shelton, Levine and Cyrus. Cyrus said “I want us to be this like power team of these two females who aren’t scared of being the punk-rock Dolly Parton.”

Watch her audition here.

Moriah Formica

The 16 year old from Latham, New York completely killed her audition. Moriah Formica got her first chair turn from Cyrus singing “Crazy on You.” After hitting a high note, she finally received the four-chair turn she was looking for. Cyrus said, “I’d be able to give you big-sister advice because you’re getting to experience this at such a young age. And that’s something that I was gifted with.”

Watch her audition here.

Janice Freeman

Janice Freeman hit the stage with one of my all-time favorites, “Radioactive.” The 32 year old from Covina, California channels her personal struggles into her singing and her incredibly powerful voice. Both Cyrus and Jennifer Hudson turned their chairs, but in the end it was Cyrus who said “I love girls that come out here and do what you do and have so much power. You’re not afraid, and I love no fear because I’m fearless.”

Watch her audition here.

Shilo Gold

The soulful stylings of Shilo Gold earned her last-minute chair turns from Cyrus and Hudson. The 26 year old from Denver, Colorado sang “Stay With Me Baby.” Her raspy voice was commented on by Cyrus, saying “I’m used to dealing with a voice like yours. I want to make sure you take all the proper care of your voice that you need to.”

Watch her audition here.

Chloe Kohanski​

Probably my favorite voice on the show, this 23 year old from Nashville, Tennessee earned three chair turns from Shelton, Cyrus, and Hudson. Kohanski sang the Fleetwood Mac song “The Chain.” It was surprising to me that Cyrus won Kohanski over, because I thought that Hudson fought for her more between the three and wanted her more. Cyrus said, “Just turning around and seeing your style, it feels like you really know who you are.”

Watch her audition here.

Katrina Rose

The 34 year old from Durham, North Carolina’s audition was not featured in the audition episodes. Cyrus said, “Before you came out here, I have a note written down, because I believe in putting things in the universe. And my note to myself is ‘I’m gonna win.’ Because that’s my goal this time.”

Watch part of her audition here.

Megan Rose

The other Rose in the competition, this 20 year old from San Ramon, California, killed it with the song “Ode to Billie Joe.” Rose earned chair turns from both Levine and Cyrus. Hudson chimed in on the decision making by saying, “It would be so powerful and moving to see an all-female team.”

Watch her audition here.

Brooke Simpson

The 26 year old from Hollister, North Carolina showcased her broad range of vocals singing “Stone Cold.” Simpson is from a Native American community and proudly embodied her culture during her pre-interview. Cyrus said, “I’m a very invested coach, and I’m gonna win this season, and I’m want to do it with you.” Simpson was the season’s first four chair turn.

Watch her audition here.

Ilianna Viramontes

Viramontes, the 18 year old from Albuquerque, New Mexico, sang “New Soul,” for her audition piece. She earned chair turns from Cyrus and Shelton. Cyrus said, “I do a little bit of everything, and I think I can see that in you and I’d love to work together.”

Watch her audition here.

Karli Webster

Rounding out Team Miley is Karli Webster. Webster’s 70’s influence was a great match with Cyrus. The 20 year old from Santa Clarita, California earned chair turns from Levine and Cyrus. Webster sang “You’re So Vain,” by the amazing Carly Simon. Levine said, “The spirit of Carly Simon was in your performance. You’re gonna go all the way.” It was Cyrus that won her over, saying, “I would love to have you join my female team because I just think you are so incredible.”

Watch her audition here.

The Voice Battle Rounds begin Monday at 8/7c on NBC.

intro, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12

cover

“Sometimes you want to have a very productive Saturday to feel that you are in control of your life, which of course you are not.” -Tina Fey, Bossypants Jamie Bridenstine... How do I even begin to explain Jamie Bridenstine. Jamie Bridenstine is flawless. She has two Fendi purses and a silver Lexus. I hear her hair's insured for $10,000. I hear she does car commercials... in Japan. Her favorite movie is Varsity Blues. One time, she met John Stamos on a plane. And he told her she was pretty. One time, she punched me in the face. It was awesome. Jamie Bridenstine is a 4th year undergrad at the University of Wyoming, earning her B.A. in Communication and a minor in Military Science. Her favorite move is Mean Girls... and any movie with Tina Fey in it. She enjoys deep conversations about politics, procrastinating on group projects, and watching The Office over and over again. Jamie has the cutest dog in the world, Timber, and is ready to take on the world after college. She will be heading up to Washington after graduation to pursue her career in the military... and hopefully her graduate degree in Public Relations.
Kaitlyn is a recent grad the University of Wyoming, where she got her degree in Marketing. She has been the Campus Correspondent for a Pink level chapter, a Chapter Advisor to some amazing chapters, and now has the pleasure of being a Region Leader. Born and raised on the Western Slope of Colorado, her love for nature and the outdoors comes naturally. Kaitlyn lives for football season, but finds way to stay preoccupied during the off-season. She enjoys long walks in the mountains, beer as cold as her heart, and bacon on her burgers. You can follow Kaitlyn’s adventures on Instagram, @kaysoup.