Meet HC Wyoming: Malorie Williamson

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Wyoming chapter.

Name: Malorie Williamson

Major: Journalism

Class Standing: Senior

Role in HC: Writer

Why did you join HC?

HC gave me a good opportunity to do some creative writing and to get my work published.

What do you love about HC?

I love how easy it is to get published by a popular organization and how much freedom I have in what I write.

What’s one thing about you that surprises people?

I have been in a long distance relationship for 4 years.

Who, or what, is your biggest inspiration?

My favorite author, Cheryl Strayed, is probably my biggest inspiration. She inspires writers and women like myself to be brave enough to step outside of your comfort zone in order to discover who you really are.  She also hiked 1,100 miles on her own from Mexico to Canada and you really can’t get any cooler than that.

What are your favorite things to do in your free-time?

I love to ride horses in my free time. I am a member and officer on the UW Equestrian Team.

When you go to a coffee shop, what drink do you order?

Iced chai latte.

What quote inspires you and why?

“How wild it was, to let it be.” –Cheryl Strayed

I love this quote because it not only has my favorite word in it (wild), but it captures the beauty in letting things be. You can’t always control everything, and it’s important to remember that that is ok.

Knowing what you know now, what advice would you give your 18-year-old self?

Moving away from home and going to college is going to be the best thing to happen to you. Embrace it, and don’t be too serious.

If you could instantly become an expert in something, what would it be?

I would want to become an expert in writing a book. I have always wanted to write a book, but I have no idea where to start or even what to write about.

What does success mean to you?

Success means finding a place in life where you can go to bed every night and truly be satisfied with where you are and what you are doing.

Where is your happy place?

The mountains have always been my happy place. Surrounded by trees and high above the rest of the world is where I find my peace.

If you could invite 3 people, dead or alive, to a dinner party, who would they be, and why?

My grandmother. There are so many things that I want to tell her, but never got the chance to say.

Reese Witherspoon. She’s a badass and I want to know how she does it.

Ellen DeGeneres. How does someone get to be so funny and so genuinely kind all at the same time?

Where do you see yourself in 5 years?

In 5 years I see myself living in my own house with lots of land for many animals and working as editor-in-chief at either a magazine or a newspaper. And have a jet ski. (Gotta dream big am I right?)

Finally, why should anyone reading this join HC?

HC is the easiest way to get your writing out there. And it’s fun! It’s a great way to connect with other students and to do something you all enjoy together. It gives you the opportunity to actually write something that you want to write about and let other people enjoy.

Any other thoughts?

Being a woman in college is one of the most exciting and terrifying things to be, so why not write about it?

Malorie is a senior at the University of Wyoming studying journalism and professional writing. Her dream is to be a non-profit magazine writer or news reporter. When she isn't behind the computer writing her next big article, you can usually find her on the back of a horse or lost in the mountains taking pictures (both with tacos in hand).
Abbey is a senior at the University of Wyoming and is currently majoring in Journalism. She couldn't imagine a world without Jesus, coffee, The 1975, Twitter or her family. You'll usually find her at a concert or cafe somewhere, which is where she spends majority of her free-time. Talking to band members after their shows is a hobby, along with thrifting & indulging in all aspects of pop culture. After college, she plans to spend more time at concerts, getting paid to write about music and bands.