Meet HC Wyoming: Jamie Hampton

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Wyoming chapter.

Name: Jamie Hampton

Major: Journalism

Class Standing: Senior

Role in HC: Writer

Why did you join HC?

I joined HC as a way to strengthen my writing skills while connecting with other passionate women. I have loved writing for so many years that it was nice to have an outlet to write a little more creatively and about topics that mattered to me.

What do you love about HC?

I love that everyone that writes for HC is allowed to be their own person and embrace it. It’s an amazing group of people and it’s awesome that there’s a place for us all to gather and get to know one another!

What’s one thing about you that surprises people?

Most people are surprised by the fact that I have ten tattoos.

Who, or what, is your biggest inspiration?

My mom. Hands down. She is the strongest woman I know and has taught me so much about being an independent person. She’s the reason I am unapologetically me and I strive everyday to be a little more like her.

What are your favorite things to do in your free-time?

Go to concerts, drink coffee and cuddle with my kitten. There’s nothing more you need in life, really.

When you go to a coffee shop, what drink do you order?

A hazelnut latte. Classic.

What quote inspires you and why?

I don’t really have a specific quote that inspires me. I find myself seeing inspiration in everyday conversations with the people I surround myself with.

Knowing what you know now, what advice would you give your 18-year-old self?

I would definitely tell myself that the University of Wyoming is the school that you want to go to, stop crying about it. I have had such an amazing experience at UW and grown a lot as a person. I definitely wouldn’t change coming here for anything.

If you could instantly become an expert in something, what would it be?

I would love to be a talented musician of some sorts. I have such a fascination with music and envy anyone and everyone that can sing or play an instrument.

What does success mean to you?

Success to me means doing something I love for the rest of my life. It doesn’t matter how much money I’m making, as long as I am happy doing it.

Where is your happy place?

Anywhere there’s live music.

If you could invite 3 people, dead or alive, to a dinner party, who would they be, and why?

David Bowie. Garrett Borns. Tyler Joseph.

They’re all musicians that I would love to pick the brains of. I’m also in love with Garrett Borns, so that’s a reason all on its own.

Where do you see yourself in 5 years?

Living close to a beach and writing about music/musicians.

Finally, why should anyone reading this join HC?

It’s a great opportunity to build new relationships and have fun.

Any other thoughts?

N/A

Abbey is a senior at the University of Wyoming and is currently majoring in Journalism. She couldn't imagine a world without Jesus, coffee, The 1975, Twitter or her family. You'll usually find her at a concert or cafe somewhere, which is where she spends majority of her free-time. Talking to band members after their shows is a hobby, along with thrifting & indulging in all aspects of pop culture. After college, she plans to spend more time at concerts, getting paid to write about music and bands.
Jamie was born and raised in Wyoming, with a new found love for the town of Laramie. She is a junior studying journalism and hopes to write for a magazine. Music and coffee fuel her life, so she can be found at a local coffee shop or supporting her local music scene. She is also an avid football fan and doesn't miss a chance to watch a Baltimore Ravens game. She hopes to be able to tell the stories of interesting individuals as a career someday.