A Letter to My Ex-Best Friend

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Wyoming chapter.

What I hate the most about Facebook is that it shows me the memories. I look back on our memories from last year, to many years ago, and I hate every one.

We had our good times, and I was so thankful for them because they got me through my bad times. I relied on you for everything. You were my rock, my partner in crime. The peanut butter to my jelly. We were two peas in a pod. And even when you were gone, I knew I still had someone that had my back.

But today, those good memories are blended in with our worst one we made together.

And it’s not that I stopped caring about you. I still wish you the best. I still see your family. It’s the fact that the entire time that we’ve known each other, I thought we were developing a sense of trust, comfort, reliability, and respect.

And you completely shattered it all.

In roughly 2 months, we would have been best friends with each other for 5 years. I was ready to celebrate a friend-versary with you. I was ready to make it another 5 years. Because that was the plan. To be there for each other.

Now, as much as I hate myself for admitting it, I’m glad we aren’t best friends anymore.

But I miss you like hell.

There’s some nights when I can’t sleep, and I want to call you like I did before, and you made it all better.

There’s some days when I want to call you and ask how your job is, how your family is, and see if you want to go see a movie that weekend.

Like we always did.

I miss you so much, but I know it’s for my own good that I stopped talking to you. If I hadn’t, I would have been hurt in the long run.

You always like my Instagram photos, which I hate. I see you in my friends’ Snapchats, on their photos that they share, and it hurts, but I know better.

So when I look back on my memories on Facebook today, I’m going to look at those memories, and remember that I’m happy I lost you.

I want you to remember everything, and feel the same way I do.

Sincerely, your ex-best friend.

1

cover

“Sometimes you want to have a very productive Saturday to feel that you are in control of your life, which of course you are not.” -Tina Fey, Bossypants Jamie Bridenstine... How do I even begin to explain Jamie Bridenstine. Jamie Bridenstine is flawless. She has two Fendi purses and a silver Lexus. I hear her hair's insured for $10,000. I hear she does car commercials... in Japan. Her favorite movie is Varsity Blues. One time, she met John Stamos on a plane. And he told her she was pretty. One time, she punched me in the face. It was awesome. Jamie Bridenstine is a 4th year undergrad at the University of Wyoming, earning her B.A. in Communication and a minor in Military Science. Her favorite move is Mean Girls... and any movie with Tina Fey in it. She enjoys deep conversations about politics, procrastinating on group projects, and watching The Office over and over again. Jamie has the cutest dog in the world, Timber, and is ready to take on the world after college. She will be heading up to Washington after graduation to pursue her career in the military... and hopefully her graduate degree in Public Relations.
Kaitlyn is a recent grad the University of Wyoming, where she got her degree in Marketing. She has been the Campus Correspondent for a Pink level chapter, a Chapter Advisor to some amazing chapters, and now has the pleasure of being a Region Leader. Born and raised on the Western Slope of Colorado, her love for nature and the outdoors comes naturally. Kaitlyn lives for football season, but finds way to stay preoccupied during the off-season. She enjoys long walks in the mountains, beer as cold as her heart, and bacon on her burgers. You can follow Kaitlyn’s adventures on Instagram, @kaysoup.