Let’s Discuss What Happened to Harry Styles

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Wyoming chapter.

Twitter blew up this weekend when is was released that Harry Styles was groped while performing onstage. For the most part fans reacted in solidarity with Harry, pushing that people should treat everyone with respect and even starting the hashtag #RespectHarry. Unfortunately, there are still some people in the world that might not necessarily sympathize with Harry because it is not your “traditional” case of sexual assault.

Just because he is a man, doesn’t mean it doesn’t count as crossing a line. Just because he is a celebrity, doesn’t mean it isn’t breaking personal boundaries. It is important for everyone to understand that famous people are people too and that they can be violated just as much as the next person.

Look, I love Harry as much as most people do, but I would never think of violating his personal space by any means. One of my favorite parts about seeing an artist live is watching them interact with all of the fans, and actions like this damage the possibility of those interactions.

In the video you can clearly see Harry push the fan away and walk away quickly. It is clearly something he did not want to happen, like most victims of sexual assault. This should be taken as a lesson that these things don’t only happen to women. Not to say that those cases aren’t important, but it is important that we all understand the fact that it can happen to anyone and everyone.

I hope that this can spark conversation on this topic because it is such a taboo topic, but also such a powerful one that needs to be addressed in a respectful manner.

1

cover

Jamie was born and raised in Wyoming, with a new found love for the town of Laramie. She is a junior studying journalism and hopes to write for a magazine. Music and coffee fuel her life, so she can be found at a local coffee shop or supporting her local music scene. She is also an avid football fan and doesn't miss a chance to watch a Baltimore Ravens game. She hopes to be able to tell the stories of interesting individuals as a career someday.
Kaitlyn is a recent grad the University of Wyoming, where she got her degree in Marketing. She has been the Campus Correspondent for a Pink level chapter, a Chapter Advisor to some amazing chapters, and now has the pleasure of being a Region Leader. Born and raised on the Western Slope of Colorado, her love for nature and the outdoors comes naturally. Kaitlyn lives for football season, but finds way to stay preoccupied during the off-season. She enjoys long walks in the mountains, beer as cold as her heart, and bacon on her burgers. You can follow Kaitlyn’s adventures on Instagram, @kaysoup.