This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Wyoming chapter.

I think I speak for a lot of college students when I say that I am really excited to graduate, but at the same time, I am not. Below are my reasons why.

1. I am excited to graduate because I will be the first in my immediate family to have higher than a high school diploma.

I have a cousin who has a Bachelor of Science, another cousin who has an Associate of Science/Nursing, and a half-sister who (I think) has a Bachelor of Arts, but my mother, father, and sister, all have attained their high school diploma. I am already a first generation college graduate since I went to Western Wyoming Community College and received my Associate of Arts in 2017, but now I will add another degree to my bag of tricks. I do plan on getting my Masters as well after a few years of teaching.

2. I am not excited to graduate because I have to go back to Laramie.

Let me just start by saying that LARAMIE IS NOT A BAD TOWN! I am not excited to return because I have to drive 3 hours to Laramie and 3 hours back the next day. Thank goodness I don’t have to pay for a hotel room either because I would lose my mind with how expensive it is. All of the hotels in Laramie are already booked up by the way, and it has been that way since JANUARY!

3. I am excited to graduate because I am achieving what I wanted to do.

Not only am I happy to be a college graduate with a Bachelor’s Degree, but I am happy that I can finally start my career after it is all said and done. In order to teach, you have to have a Bachelor’s with a grade and subject endorsement. Once I have it, I will be unstoppable.

4. I am not excited to graduate because my family and I have to sit through another 3+ hour ceremony.

To be completely honest, I should have just had mine sent in through the mail. My family will only get a 10 second view of me and that is it. They drive 6 hours round trip, just to see me for 10 seconds. I know they would travel the world for me, but I feel really selfish for making them come and watch. I am thankful though that my graduation is separate from nursing and graduate graduation.

Happy Graduation to all of the UW graduates!

1

1
1

1
1
Megan Lord

U Wyoming '19

Megan is a senior at the University of Wyoming. She is a Secondary Education/Social Studies major with a focus in History. Her hometown is Rock Springs, Wyoming, just 200 miles west of Laramie. Megan loves being outdoors and avidly hunts with her grandpa and fiancé. Her free-time includes; diamond painting, crafting for her wedding, writing her blog, working out, riding horses, and riding motorcycles.
Hailee Riddle

U Wyoming '20

Writing is hard, but I love it. "Little girls with dreams become women with vision." HC U Wyoming Writing since 2016