Kacey Musgraves Is Worth Listening To & Here’s Why

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Wyoming chapter.

If you listen to country music, but haven’t heard about Kacey Musgraves, you’ve been living under a rock. Her first album Same Trailer, Different Park came out in 2013 with some amazing songs featured on the radio like “Follow Your Arrow,” and “Merry Go ‘Round,” but you probably didn’t know it was her. Her second album Pageant Material was released in 2015 and included well known songs like the album titled track and “Biscuits.”  Her latest album, Golden Hour, only came out over a week ago and it promises to be her strongest yet. 

Not only am I a big fan of hers, but you should be too, and here are eight reasons why:

1. She began writing songs when she was 8 years old

Kacey wrote a song for her elementary school graduation when she was only 8 years old! She even first started playing music on the mandolin and started learning guitar at age 12.

2. She self-released three albums before appearing on Nashville Star.

Kacey appeared on the fifth season of a televised singing competition named Nashville Star, which Miranda Lambert also appeared on in 2003 (she took third). Musgraves ended up coming in seventh place in the season airing in 2007, just a year after graduating high school. Even before that, she self-released three albums: Movin’ On (2002), Wanted: One Good Cowboy (2003), and Kacey Musgraves (2007). Her fresh new voice breathes life into country classics on these albums and I *highly* recommend taking a listen. Even at around 12-13, she shows her immense talent.

3. Her music ranges from Country to Folk and even *yodeling*!

Those who listen to her now that she’s more popular recognize her old-timey country sound, with folk and bluegrass influences. In her older albums, she covers a plethora of older country songs, like Patsy Montana’s “I Wanna Be a Cowboy’s Sweetheart.” And…SHE CAN YODEL! That’s a talent you don’t come across too often anymore.

4. She points out controversial topics in her music

“Follow Your Arrow” is an obvious contender. With the lyrics, “…kiss lots of boys, or kiss lots of girls, if that’s what you’re into,” it brings forth homosexuality acceptance. Later on in the chorus as well, Musgraves sings, “…if the straight and narrow gets a little to straight, roll up a joint, or don’t…” the topic of marijuana use is discussed. It is no secret that Willie Nelson is one of her influences and she even toked up at her wedding with her husband Ruston Kelly last October. In “Cup of Tea,” Musgraves highlights keeping true to yourself, even though not everyone shares your values. In an interview with the Wall Street Journal, she says that the issues that she brings to light are not controversial or hot button topics to her, just influences that she’s had in her life and chose to highlight in her songs.

5. Her musical influences are widely ranging

Not only is she influenced by the great Willie Nelson and has also collaborated with him on “Are You Sure,” in 2015, but she owes thanks to many other artists. She mentions Loretta Lynn, LeAnn Womack, John Prine, Glen Campbell, Marty Robbins, and many, many more as major influences in her music career. She has a great range of people to draw influence from, which is why her music is so diverse.

6. She has won some pretty important awards so far

Kacey was nominated for 15 awards (AMC, CMT, CMA, ACA) in 2013 when her first album was released. She ended up winning New Artist of the Year at the Country Music Association Awards. In 2014, she was nominated for 18 awards (Grammy, AMC, CMT, CMA, WMA, AMA) in which she won Best Country Song – “Merry Go ‘Round” And Best Country Album – Same Trailer, Different Park at the Grammys, Album of the Year – Same Trailer, Different Park at the American Country Music Awards, and Song of the Year – “Follow Your Arrow” at the Country Music Association Awards. Unfortunately in 2015, she was nominated for three awards from the CMA’s, but came home with nothing. In 2016, she was nominated for 9 awards (UKAA, Grammys, ACM, CMA, CMT, AMHA, PCA) and she won the International Achievement Award at the Country Music Association Awards. 2017 yielded similar results as 2015, but she was only nominated for one award which she did not come home with.

So far, she’s earned 6 awards in her career, which is amazing.

7. She keeps old Country music alive, while giving it new flair

With classic country singers as her influences, it’s hard to believe that she would stray far from what she loves. In her first two albums, it is obvious that she pulls from those mentors. The slow rhythm, steel guitar, banjo and harmonica that can be heard many times in her songs pays homage to lates and greats of country and folk music. In her most recent albums, she plays a little bit more with the sound and pours her feelings out instead of just thinking out each line. She also does not want to keep herself in a box with just making the same music over and over again.

8. She is a genuine, down-to-Earth, human being

As a follower of her Facebook and Instagram, I get to see her funny recorded moments. She loves memes, making fun of herself and making Boomerang videos of her flipping her hair. She keeps to her roots, but she is happy of the life she’s made. She included her late grandma’s voice in her song, “This Town.” Even through her songs, you can tell that she knows she’s made mistakes, just like everyone else and says you should just do whatever you want.

So for those reasons listed above, I am a strong believer that if you are a fan of old, new or any kind of country music, you need to give Kacey Musgraves a chance. I promise you will not be disappointed. So, please, do yourself a favor and listen to her music…

2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11

Megan Lord

U Wyoming '19

Megan is a senior at the University of Wyoming. She is a Secondary Education/Social Studies major with a focus in History. Her hometown is Rock Springs, Wyoming, just 200 miles west of Laramie. Megan loves being outdoors and avidly hunts with her grandpa and fiancé. Her free-time includes; diamond painting, crafting for her wedding, writing her blog, working out, riding horses, and riding motorcycles.
Abbey is a senior at the University of Wyoming and is currently majoring in Journalism. She couldn't imagine a world without Jesus, coffee, The 1975, Twitter or her family. You'll usually find her at a concert or cafe somewhere, which is where she spends majority of her free-time. Talking to band members after their shows is a hobby, along with thrifting & indulging in all aspects of pop culture. After college, she plans to spend more time at concerts, getting paid to write about music and bands.