The Jonas Brothers Are Back, Released A New Single & I’m Honestly Shook

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Wyoming chapter.

When I woke up yesterday morning, I grabbed my phone and opened Instagram as per usual, not at all expecting the first post that appeared at the top of my feed. It was a picture of Joe, Nick and Kevin Jonas with the words “Jonas Brothers” and “Sucker” on the top and bottom of the image. I thought I was still dreaming when I read the caption “Midnight EST.”

I opened Facebook to find the same thing and new it was a reality. I couldn’t believe my eyes-it’s been 10 years since their last actual album Lines, Vines and Trying Times. They’re back?! Holy sh*t!

Just for context, I was a Jonas Brothers *fangirl* back in the day. I mean obsessed. I had posters plastering my walls, a homemade shirt that said “Nick, don’t put my heart on the shelf,” and even did a talent show gymnastics routine to one of their songs with my friends. I was a die-hard fan, and honestly, I lost hope that I’d ever hear of the band again, considering all the brothers have their own lives and success alone now.

I’ve had 10 years to move on, grow up and discover other musicians, but you can imagine how I was immediately thrown right back into the 5th grade when I saw this new song announcement. I’ve been itching to hear the new song “Sucker” since I saw the post, and naturally, when I woke up this morning, I went straight to YouTube to watch the video and hear the track.

I have to say, I had my suspicions when I heard the news of a new single because I didn’t know if it’d be good. I imagined the single would be a combination of Nick’s solo sound and Joe’s band DNCE, just because that’s where they’re at musically. I also still hold the songs from self-titled so close, I wasn’t sure I’d be accepting of a new sound. I expected it to sound different though, it’s not 2007 anymore, I understood that.

When watching the video, I noticed it is very Alice in Wonderland inspired. All of the women in the video are Nick, Joe and Kevin’s actual S.O.’s. Yes, Priyanka Chopra, Danielle Jonas and Sophie Turner were the only women in it and it was actually really sweet.  I love the concept of the song and video together, as it lyrically talks about how they’re “suckers” for the women they are in love with, which represents their current stage in life. They’re all settling down, getting married or already there; even Kevin has two kids. This theme was fun to see because all of their fans are in their 20s now, probably in those same stages as they are.

To get down to the nitty gritty, I have to say I don’t hate “Sucker,” but I don’t love it either. I’m somewhere in-between because it definitely sounds like them, which I love, but it’s also more mature and clearly influenced by their current endeavors. It does sound a little like DNCE and Nick’s solo songs which is why I’m a little less in love with it, but the Jonas Brothers vibe isn’t completely lost, which is why I don’t totally hate it all together. They still have guitar and drums in the song, rather than just auto tuned pop sounds, showing they are still on-brand, even 10 years later.

Overall, I think I love the video more than the song, just because of the concept and use of actors being within the family, sticking to their family-centered brand they’ve had since day one. I’ll probably keep this song in my playlists and listen to it, but I’m still a self-titled girl. That’s my album, that’s my fave Jo Bros era, but I’m so glad they’re back. It’s so fun to feel 13 again and I can’t wait to see what else they come out with.

1

1

1
Abbey is a senior at the University of Wyoming and is currently majoring in Journalism. She couldn't imagine a world without Jesus, coffee, The 1975, Twitter or her family. You'll usually find her at a concert or cafe somewhere, which is where she spends majority of her free-time. Talking to band members after their shows is a hobby, along with thrifting & indulging in all aspects of pop culture. After college, she plans to spend more time at concerts, getting paid to write about music and bands.
Hailee Riddle

U Wyoming '20

Writing is hard, but I love it. "Little girls with dreams become women with vision." HC U Wyoming Writing since 2016