This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Wyoming chapter.

Her Campus: What is your position? How long have you held it?

Jody Levin: I am the owner of my own company, Levin Strategic Resources and I started it in the fall of 2009. It is a government/public affairs strategic consulting.

HC: How did you end up in the position?

JL: I had spent about 20+ years in government and I worked in DC for Senator Thomas and two other Wyoming Governors on endangered species, then worked on policy work. My opportunities for growth meant I would need to lead Wyoming, so I decided it was best for me to try my hand at contract consulting work, so that’s what I decided to do and I launched at the end of October 2009. I spent a lot of time in government and various levels, and enjoyed it, but didn’t want to leave Wyoming.

HC: Where are you from originally?

JL: I am from Pinedale and then moved to Laramie to attend the university.

HC: What degree did you obtain from UW, and what years did you graduate?

JL: I have a bachelor’s in Agricultural Communications (1996) and a master’s in Agricultural Economics (1998).

HC: How did your experience at UW help you get to where you are now?

JL: I really credit the university and the college of agriculture with my complete success. I was afforded great opportunities through my academic career to do early research. I also worked for the dean of the College of Agriculture – Dr. Horn – and told him I wanted to go to D.C. and work at the federal level in agricultural politics. I can say enough about the college and how much time they spent with me. Getting a master’s was hard and a lot of work because math is not one of my strengths, but the professors are amazing, and the amount of time they spent with me. The relationships that I built helped me to get to D.C. and a ton of doors opened for me after working for Senator Thomas, career-wise.

HC: What is the best advice you can offer a woman going into your field of policy work?

JL: The biggest thing I can say is for students to be open to opportunities and work on developing relationships. Let professors, staff members and even organizations know of your interests. Explore new opportunities when someone gives you suggestions for a conference to attend or even a class to take – be open to those opportunities because you don’t know what might be around the corner.

HC: If a current UW student in your field had more questions, would you be open to talking with them? If so, what is the best way for them to reach you?

JL: I am always happy to try to give advice or suggestions because I do appreciate how difficult it could be to transfer from student world to career world. I am always willing to visit give advice and share ideas. You can reach me at my email (jody@thinklsr.com) or my cell phone (307 421-1944)

HC: Is there anything else you would like to share?

JL: I would really like to put a push in for the College of Agriculture and what an amazing education I got from that institution, that the college is an extension of family. I have friends and relationships from when I was an undergraduate and graduate that still exist today. That’s a pretty unique element of someone’s education. It makes all the difference in the world.

Sydney Stein is a junior at the University of Wyoming pursing a Bachelor’s in Communication with minors in Honors, History, and Gender and Women’s Studies.Sydney enjoys long walks in the mountains, funny conversations, receiving flowers, fiction novels, smelling gardens, jumping off diving boards, Oxford commas, and elephant rides.  
Kaitlyn is a recent grad the University of Wyoming, where she got her degree in Marketing. She has been the Campus Correspondent for a Pink level chapter, a Chapter Advisor to some amazing chapters, and now has the pleasure of being a Region Leader. Born and raised on the Western Slope of Colorado, her love for nature and the outdoors comes naturally. Kaitlyn lives for football season, but finds way to stay preoccupied during the off-season. She enjoys long walks in the mountains, beer as cold as her heart, and bacon on her burgers. You can follow Kaitlyn’s adventures on Instagram, @kaysoup.