timon studler BIk2ANMmNz4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
timon studler BIk2ANMmNz4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Style

How to Be Stylish When It’s Cold AF

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Wyoming chapter.

If you’re reading this, you’re probably a student in Wyoming, currently freezing your a** off under dozens of layers. Fashion and style has been thrown out the window for the sake of feeling your hands and feet. I get it, getting ready in the morning when it’s bitter cold outside doesn’t make you want to put on a cute outfit, but rather whatever will keep you from shivering. As a lover of style, I get what it’s like to be tired of trying and just re-wearing your thickest sweater, but also, as someone who has lived in Wyoming for a decade, I’ve gathered some tips to put fashion and warmth together. Here are some key items to have in your wardrobe to keep you looking cute and feeling cozy in Wyoming’s nine months of winter.

Find your tried and true pair of boots 

In this bitter cold, your ankles have to be covered. As much as I love my Nikes and Vans, it’s just not enough to wear them when the wind chill makes it feel like -10 degrees outside. Finding a nice pair of boots that go with a lot of outfits is worth the purchase. These can be snow boots, like Sorels, Ugg boots, or my favorite, combat boots. Whatever your style, find a pair of boots that not only make you feel confident and comfortable, but ones that have some traction to help with the snow and ice. They can be paired with long socks, legwarmers, or you can leave the boots to style themselves, but they’re a staple that you should definitely have in a state like this. 

Neutral, big cardigans are your BFF.

Cardigans are my favorite item for winter, as they can be worn with almost anything. You can put a graphic tee underneath, a flannel or longsleeve if it’s super cold, or even add a scarf if you want another layer. If you find some plain, neutral colored cardigans, preferably long and big, you will be able to layer them with just about anything in your closet. Pair them with those boots I mentioned earlier to complete the look. I love wearing a band tee with my cardigans, paired with leggings, a beanie and some legwarmers under my boots. 

Blanket Scarves. Every day. 

If you’ve never heard of “blanket scarves” it means exactly what it says-a scarf the size of a small blanket that can be worn in dozens of ways (here’s an article with 20). They’re cozy, versatile and can put a look together with almost no effort at all. Sometimes, I wear it around my neck like usual, or will drape it over a plain longsleeve like a shawl to switch it up. They’re great layering tools as well, which makes them a perfect addition to an outfit if you need something to cover your neck and face from the chill outside.

Legwarmers. No, they aren’t just a thing of the past.

I mentioned these guys a little earlier but they deserve their own feature. Legwarmers live up to their name and can dress up an outfit, making it look like you tried harder than you actually did. I love wearing my grey pair with a bulky turtleneck and leggings, of course with my tried and true boots from #1, and it really adds an extra pop to a typically average, every day outfit. Find a few pairs that go with a lot of your clothes and rotate ’em out all winter long. 

You can never have too many sweaters

There’s no shame in having a wide variety of big, comfy sweaters in a place with mostly winter temperatures. They’re quick and easy to throw on, they feel great and look dressier than you think. Just grab some with different colors and patterns to jazz things up, pair them with a cute hat or scarf and you’re good to go. Not to mention, they’re soft, so it almost feels like you never left your bed. Major win, right?

Fall in love with hats

If you love yourself enough, you’ll keep your ears warm. Whether it’s a beanie or beret, it doesn’t matter, so long as you can fight the wind that leaves your ears numb the second you step outside. My personal preference is a beanie, styled with big sweaters or, a cardigan, band tee and leggings, of course. They’re not only warm and stylish, but can cover up bad hair days or your roots when you’re in-between washes. Again, I love having several colors to maximize combinations for outfits and get a good use out of them. If you’re not obsessed with hats, just try a few styles until you find one that works and run with it. Your ears will truly thank you. 

Rewear, rearrange and make your own combinations

My final piece of advice I can offer you is this: Whatever you do, with all of these tips, make as many combinations with the items in your closet as you can, especially if you purchase any of the items on this list. Not only are the possibilities endless, but these items are all so versatile it’s almost impossible to get bored of your closet or run out of ideas. Don’t be afraid to rewear things! As broke college students (at least most of us), spending less money and having 5 things you can wear 25 ways is better than having 25 things and only wearing 5 of them. Maximize the use of your clothing items and recycle out pieces in new ways. It’s fun and keeps things interesting, without constantly purchasing new things. 

I hope you found some inspiration or ideas from some of these items and they give some new life to your closet. Stay warm, Wyomingites, it’s almost spring! Oh, wait…

Abbey is a senior at the University of Wyoming and is currently majoring in Journalism. She couldn't imagine a world without Jesus, coffee, The 1975, Twitter or her family. You'll usually find her at a concert or cafe somewhere, which is where she spends majority of her free-time. Talking to band members after their shows is a hobby, along with thrifting & indulging in all aspects of pop culture. After college, she plans to spend more time at concerts, getting paid to write about music and bands.