How to be More Productive When You Feel Like Garbage

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Wyoming chapter.

Is it just me, or is it that time of year when everybody’s sick, nobody is in class, and you have literally every assignment due within the next few days?

Good. Not just me.

But how do you force yourself to do what you need to do when you absolutely don’t want to do it? Did I miss something in that freshman intro course that told me the secret to life?

Luckily, I am really bad at everything, including procrastination, and I have some tips for you folks on how to get over this slump.

1. Drink lots of fluids, like water and orange juice.

I’m not one of those people who “drinks their calories.” Orange juice and other fruit juices have a ton of sugar in them, but the benefits truly outweigh the harm here. Orange juice and citrus drinks will make you feel a whole lot better. And water is an obvious choice, we should be drinking our weight in water everyday anyways to keep us hydrated, especially at this altitude of 7220 ft.

2. Sleep should be a top priority, next to all of those assignments.

(Actual footage of me falling asleep everywhere)

All jokes aside, sleep is incredibly important, especially if you’re battling a sickness. Let your body heal up.

3. Don’t procrastinate by doing other things.

Accomplishing other things, like cleaning… or writing articles… will give you a sense of accomplishment and you feel proud of yourself. But the fact of the matter is, you’re still not getting that homework done.

4. You’re more motivated to do your work in a productive environment.

I know, I want to stay in bed too. I understand the struggle. Get up, get a change of scenery, and get that work done!

5. Just remember, those assignments won’t do themselves.

And you can’t use the excuse “my dog ate my homework.”

1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

cover

SaveSave

“Sometimes you want to have a very productive Saturday to feel that you are in control of your life, which of course you are not.” -Tina Fey, Bossypants Jamie Bridenstine... How do I even begin to explain Jamie Bridenstine. Jamie Bridenstine is flawless. She has two Fendi purses and a silver Lexus. I hear her hair's insured for $10,000. I hear she does car commercials... in Japan. Her favorite movie is Varsity Blues. One time, she met John Stamos on a plane. And he told her she was pretty. One time, she punched me in the face. It was awesome. Jamie Bridenstine is a 4th year undergrad at the University of Wyoming, earning her B.A. in Communication and a minor in Military Science. Her favorite move is Mean Girls... and any movie with Tina Fey in it. She enjoys deep conversations about politics, procrastinating on group projects, and watching The Office over and over again. Jamie has the cutest dog in the world, Timber, and is ready to take on the world after college. She will be heading up to Washington after graduation to pursue her career in the military... and hopefully her graduate degree in Public Relations.
Kaitlyn is a recent grad the University of Wyoming, where she got her degree in Marketing. She has been the Campus Correspondent for a Pink level chapter, a Chapter Advisor to some amazing chapters, and now has the pleasure of being a Region Leader. Born and raised on the Western Slope of Colorado, her love for nature and the outdoors comes naturally. Kaitlyn lives for football season, but finds way to stay preoccupied during the off-season. She enjoys long walks in the mountains, beer as cold as her heart, and bacon on her burgers. You can follow Kaitlyn’s adventures on Instagram, @kaysoup.