Career

HC U Wyoming Where Are They Now?: Lauren McClure

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Wyoming chapter.

*All photos courtesy of Lauren McClure*

Name: Lauren McClure          

Year graduated: 2016

Degree: Marketing      

Current occupation: PR/Marketing & Sales in Napa Valley, CA

Her Campus involvement: Founding Campus Correspondent

Why did you join Her Campus Wyoming?

A friend of mine asked me the summer before senior year if I’d heard of HC – they were looking to expand into more schools, like Wyoming! She asked me if I would be interested in bringing it to our campus, as the founding Campus Correspondent. I said yes immediately! I have her to thank for everything.

What does/did Her Campus mean to you?

Her Campus means so much to me still! It is such a cool organization – on the UW campus and around the world, Her Campus promotes entrepreneurship among college women, and it creates a platform for everyone’s voices to be heard. I still read HC articles regularly. 

For me, it allowed me to be a leader on campus and provide a structure and an outlet for myself and for amazingly strong and talented ladies who I wouldn’t have met before, let alone get to work with. I love writing, so it allowed me to write about things that my peers and I cared about. 

The group was super small when we first started, but we were mighty! It’s really freaking cool that you guys are still killing it now.

Has being involved in this club helped your career plans?

Honestly, yes, and in ways you wouldn’t expect! It actually helped me as an employee because when I was the CC for Her Campus, I learned that managing and organizing a club was not super easy- so many moving parts! It made me realize there are SO many things going on behind the scenes logistically, that even when you’re in the trenches working every day, your boss has to do a whole lot to make sure you can even do that smoothly. 

On the flip side, it helped me learn how to manage and be part of a team and delegate tasks, things I do every day now! It also made me a better writer and a more professional communicator, and now, working in Marketing and Sales, those two traits are indispensable.

What is your favorite article/memory that you can recall?

I have so many. But by far the most meaningful article I ever wrote was a few months after my mom passed away, I just poured my heart out. My friends, classmates, even people I didn’t even know hundreds of miles away rallied around me. They reached out, commented, or shared the article and I felt SO much love and support – it meant a lot to me to feel so seen and so heard by my peers and others. Looking back, it was really special and I believe a singular experience – UW is such a community in itself and I felt comfortable enough to bare my soul within that article to my peers because of where I was. 

What have you been up to post-college?

I moved to Napa right after graduation and started my career in the wine industry! Right now, I work at a small winery called Crocker & Starr (an all-female team, to boot!) where I am in charge of all PR, Marketing and Sales along with some hospitality.

Do you have any pets?

I wish! No pets currently, but I am enjoying being a dog and cat aunt to my friends’ babies these days!

What is the best advice you could give your younger self?

I wish I had some sage advice to give but I truly feel like I’m still a kid in so many ways, learning new things every day. 

I guess I’d say, younger self, really listen when people talk. Ask questions, talk to your professors (they are people too), and get to know your classmates. Everyone can teach you something!

And save your money, dammit!!!!

Favorite place in the world?

My hometown, San Diego, CA. No doubt! Sydney, Australia is a close second.

You’re a new addition to the crayon box. What color would you be and why?

This was hard – had to phone a friend for this q. They said marigold yellow. I tend to agree because I am definitely a Hufflepuff. But also because I like to think I add some vibrancy and sunshiney warmth to the world (or crayon box!). That golden yellow is the color of the second chakra (sorry not sorry) and that is the center of feelings, emotions, creativity, and connection, which I do my best to embody and prioritize every day! 

Any advice for current HC U Wyoming members?

·     No idea is too weird! Get out of your comfort zone. 

·     Your fellow HCUW members and HC members all over the globe are your best allies, lean on them.

·     Run the club or attend meetings like it’s your actual job and be as professional as possible – you are a legit businesswoman – don’t forget that!

*All photos courtesy of Lauren McClure*

Hailee Riddle

U Wyoming '20

Writing is hard, but I love it. "Little girls with dreams become women with vision." HC U Wyoming Writing since 2016