Career

HC U Wyoming Where Are They Now?: Brittany Johnson

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Wyoming chapter.

*Photos courtesy of Brittany Johnson*

Name: Brittany Johnson 

Year graduated: 2019 

Degree: English, minor in professional writing 

What are you doing now?: I’m currently a graduate student at the University of Denver studying Media and Public Communication, as well as a graduate teaching assistant for communication courses. 

Her Campus involvement: Writer 

Why did you join Her Campus Wyoming?

I wanted to find a way to become more involved on campus and I’ve always had a passion for writing—Her Campus was a perfect fit! 

What does/did Her Campus mean to you?

Her Campus offered me a way to fit personal/creative writing into my busy, academic-focused schedule. I’m not sure I would have made time for that hobby otherwise, so it meant a lot to have a structured environment that constantly encouraged it. 

Has being involved in this club helped your career plans?

Though I joined Her Campus for fun rather than for professional advancement, the writing skills I honed have definitely helped me in multiple areas of my academic career. I’ve spoken about my Her Campus experience in multiple job/internship interviews, and content writing in general is a huge aspect of my studies in public relations. 

What is your favorite article/memory that you can recall?

In spring 2019 we did a week of articles honoring female role models. Some wrote about family members, others about fictional characters or celebrities, and it was just very empowering to focus on raw female power and influence. 

What have you been up to post-college?

I moved down to Denver and have been going through my first set of classes as a grad student. I’m absolutely loving the city and my master’s program is challenging me in ways I never expected. While it’s definitely a lot of work and I question my sanity at times, my program is already opening so many exciting doors for me. 

Do you have any pets?

My boyfriend and I got our first puppy together in August! His name is Luca and he’s a Pomeranian-Chihuahua mix. I have never been a fan of smaller breeds, but he is my special little man and I absolutely adore him. 

What is the best advice you could give your younger self?

Don’t get so caught up in following an explicit, direct path. I used to lose sleep over “keeping things on track” and making sure every decision I made would lead me to the ever-elusive pinnacle of life. You’re going to change every five minutes in your twenties, and that’s a good thing. Guide yourself with passion and everything else will fall into place. 

Favorite place in the world?

Tre Cime di Lavaredo in Italy—mountains so breathtaking I shed tears. The Dolomites region of Italy was my first trip out of the country and it did not disappoint. 

You’re a new addition to the crayon box. What color would you be and why?

Glacier Lake aqua. I feel most like myself out in nature and the indescribable color of glacier lakes is such a testament to natural beauty. 

Any advice for current HC U Wyoming members?

Go easy on yourself! Work hard (and write lots of articles!) but let yourself just enjoy being human at times. With the stresses and pressures of college, it’s so easy to fall into the trap of telling yourself you’re not doing enough. Appreciate yourself and your work ethic. 

*Photos courtesy of Brittany Johnson*

Hailee Riddle

U Wyoming '20

Writing is hard, but I love it. "Little girls with dreams become women with vision." HC U Wyoming Writing since 2016