Career

HC U Wyoming Where Are They Now?: Abbey Williams

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Wyoming chapter.

*Photos courtesy of Abbey Williams*

Name: Abbey Williams

Year graduated: 2019

Degree: Journalism w/ a minor in Honors, concentration in Marketing

What are you doing now?: Chillin’ in Laradise, taking a year off and working front desk at a mental health clinic.

Her Campus involvement: Writer turned Social Media Chair turned CC!

Why did you join Her Campus Wyoming?

I was a Journalism major looking for every possible outlet to publish my work. Her Campus came up in one of my classes and I was in from day one & still a strong supporter. :)

What does/did Her Campus mean to you?

Her Campus means freedom and expression. I’ve always felt empowered writing for HC and being a part of it in general. What a great place to show who you really are with a bunch of other powerful females doing the same thing.

Has being involved in this club helped your career plans?

I hope it will help, but I can’t say I know just yet. I’m floating right now, taking a year off trying to decide where I wanna go, where I wanna be. But, I can’t imagine it won’t help a least a little in my field.

What is your favorite article/memory that you can recall?

I have several, but I think my favorite article was the interview I landed with Chase Lawrence from COIN. I have so much respect for that band and it was so cool to talk on the phone with the lead singer and just chat about music. I have too many memories to sift through, but I think I value the connections and friendships I made mean the most.

What have you been up to post-college?

Oh goodness, nothing exciting! I spent my 4 years in college with my hands in so many projects that I didn’t ever stop to smell the roses. I am doing that now, trying to decide if I want to go back to school for a Masters or move away, but I’m also just trying to save some money. I’ve been around Laramie, enjoying my time with my boyfriend, Blaise, friends in town and still attending shows, of course! 

Do you have any pets?

I don’t have any pets of my own, I actually just recently lost my childhood dog. I will add a picture of him because he still means the world to me.  But! I’d like to think I’m essentially the dog mom to my boyfriend’s blind puggle, Daisy. She’s so ugly, she’s cute. I mean, see for yourself.

What is the best advice you could give your younger self?

Work hard, but don’t forget about your own needs and self-care. Your projects will get done, people will still care about you even if you ask for some time off or time away. Just remember you only have one life and one body, don’t misuse them.

Favorite place in the world?

A gig. Something is so special about a crowd of people loving the same music I do. I wonder if that will ever change.

You’re a new addition to the crayon box. What color would you be and why?

I’d be a soft blue. Calming and cool, but wild like the ocean waves when I want to be ;) Honestly IDK if that’s even true, it will probably change tomorrow, lol.

Any advice for current HC U Wyoming members?

Have so much fun finding who you are through writing. Don’t hold back, don’t have fear. You are you and that’s the coolest thing you can be.

Anything else you’d like to add?

Miss you all, kind of wish I was still in my undergrad, just a little… 

*Photos courtesy of Abbey Williams*

Hailee Riddle

U Wyoming '20

Writing is hard, but I love it. "Little girls with dreams become women with vision." HC U Wyoming Writing since 2016