The Grammys: An Important Recap

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Wyoming chapter.

The biggest night in music happened this past Sunday and let me tell you, it was quite the night. As an avid pop culture fan, I watched the entire show and the majority of the red carpet. However, I understand that not everyone is as much of a fangirl as I am, so I have put together what I found to be the highlights of the night.

The red carpet was nothing special. Katy Perry kind of looked like she just rolled out of bed and Mike Posner made me extremely uncomfortable while he refused to say anything on the red carpet and instead whispered them all to blackbear. One good thing that happened was Halsey. Just in general. Luckily, the night got a lot better once the award show started.

For starters, I knew the night was going to be amazing when we were only a couple of awards in and my boys in twenty one pilots won their first ever Grammy for Best Pop Duo/Group Performance.

I have been a fan of twenty one pilots since I was a junior in high school and have watched them grow so much in that time. From small venue shows to them selling out Red Rocks two nights in a row, I’ve been there for it all. You can imagine how amazing it was to even find out that they were nominated for five Grammys total.

When Tyler Joseph and Josh Dun went up to accept their Grammy, they both proceeded to drop their pants. Yes, you heard me. No pants.  

What was so great about this moment (besides the fact that I’m in love with Josh and wouldn’t pass up a chance to see him without pants), is the story that went with it. Tyler explained that they promised each other that if they were to ever win a Grammy they would do it in their underwear because that’s how they used to watch the award show together. My favorite part though was when Tyler said something along the lines that, “anyone anywhere can do anything.” I’M NOT CRYING, YOU ARE.

Anyway, beside my huge fangirl moment there were plenty of great moments throughout the night. For instance, Chance the Rapper won his first three Grammys and had a killer performance. I mean, c’mon, he’s 23 and an independent rapper who has made all of this possible on his own. Not to mention “Coloring Book” was an absolutely amazing album. Also, I have had a huge crush on him for awhile now, so I was very excited for him.

Another great moment from the night were the tributes that were made to George Michael, Prince and the Bee Gees. Adele took on the task of tackling a tribute to George Michael and this was the one that touched my heart the most. At one point in the song Adele stopped the music and started it over in order to get the performance just right for George Michael. This was amazing because you could see how much it really meant to her to be carrying out this performance flawlessly – which she did.

The Prince tribute was carried out by Bruno Mars and then the Bee Gees’ tribute was a medley that was lead by the beautiful Demi Lovato. Both were pretty amazing, especially because Demi killed it on every note she hit and Bruno made a pretty dang good Prince.

On the same page as great performances, we find Beyoncé. I can’t say that I actually fully understood the entire performance, but it definitely caught my eye. She looked beautiful and definitely had that pregnancy glow. I’m sure it didn’t come as a surprise to anyone that she slayed again. Also, Blue Ivy was giving me life with how adorable she was throughout the entire award show.

The last highlight of the night was quite simply: Adele. As I was watching I couldn’t help but think that she deserved all of the great honors she got that night. I love Adele. I mean, she even won the biggest award of the night and said that Beyoncé deserved it. She spent the majority of her acceptance speech telling the world why she thought “Lemonade” deserved the award. If that ain’t girl power, I don’t know what is.

All in all, I’d say that this year was a pretty great year for the Grammys and I enjoyed so many aspects of it. Here’s to looking forward to what next year will bring!

1, 2,3

Jamie was born and raised in Wyoming, with a new found love for the town of Laramie. She is a junior studying journalism and hopes to write for a magazine. Music and coffee fuel her life, so she can be found at a local coffee shop or supporting her local music scene. She is also an avid football fan and doesn't miss a chance to watch a Baltimore Ravens game. She hopes to be able to tell the stories of interesting individuals as a career someday.
Kaitlyn is a recent grad the University of Wyoming, where she got her degree in Marketing. She has been the Campus Correspondent for a Pink level chapter, a Chapter Advisor to some amazing chapters, and now has the pleasure of being a Region Leader. Born and raised on the Western Slope of Colorado, her love for nature and the outdoors comes naturally. Kaitlyn lives for football season, but finds way to stay preoccupied during the off-season. She enjoys long walks in the mountains, beer as cold as her heart, and bacon on her burgers. You can follow Kaitlyn’s adventures on Instagram, @kaysoup.