Grad School Applications: Using Your Winter Break Time Wisely

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Wyoming chapter.

Do you ever wonder why UW gives students a five week winter break? On one hand you could binge watch your favorite series for the third time, or you could get a start on your grad school applications! Why put off for March what you should have done in October? UW blessed us with extra time during the holidays to accomplish wonderful things, like applying to grad school (or really any big application, study abroad, scholarships, etc.).

Deadlines are coming up quickly. Some schools’ deadlines may have already passed, but fear not you can still apply to schools! Many schools have rolling deadlines or later deadlines for their graduate program applications. Start the applications and sign up for the GRE. Winter break is the perfect time to study for the GRE, write a personal statement and contact potential references. If you get a good chunk of your applications done by the end of January, you have one less thing to worry about throughout the semester!

Maybe the program of your dreams had a deadline at the beginning of November. Don’t panic! Do the application, and have it ready for the following deadline. A year off might be exactly what you need before diving back into the stacks. You have a variety of options when taking a gap year. Travelling, interning, volunteering abroad, teaching abroad, you have options. Just be sure to look at those options in your upcoming free time!

Emily Cornell

U Wyoming '17

Emily is a graduate of the University of Wyoming with a Bachelor's in Business Management and Master's in Communication. In terms of career, Emily interned for Wyoming Athletics, and wants to eventually work in sports marketing. When not working or in class, she can typically be found baking cheesecakes, drinking coffee, or having random adventures. If the idea of these three things seem exciting, you can follow her on Instagram or Twitter, username: emilproblems. 
Sarah Ott

U Wyoming

Sara is a senior Marketing major at the University of Wyoming. She is a Co-Founder and Campus Correspondent of Wyoming's Her Campus chapter, along with President of the Student Alumni Association, and Director of Marketing for ASUW Student Government. When she's not having mental breakdowns from stress, she enjoys cuddling with her roommate's cat and hiding under a mound of blankets. All she really wants is to live somewhere where it's warm year round and to not be berated for her massive tea consumption. To check out her ridiculous and crazy life, check out her Instagram, username: twigott