This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Wyoming chapter.

I’m sure you’ve heard by now that fast fashion stores like Forever 21 and H&M are terrible for the environment and use unethical labor practices. I have tried to avoid buying fast fashion, which has led me to become a thrifting queen. I’ve been missing my local thrift store a lot during this quarantine. It may be tempting to spend your free time going on huge online shopping sprees on fast fashion websites but avoid the temptation! Online thrift shopping is the perfect solution, specifically the Depop app. There are other apps and website like Poshmark and Thredup, but Depop is my personal favorite. Here are my tips for how to find some great second-hand clothing and deals on a thrifting app:

shopping bags
Jacek Dylag

1. When you’re searching for items, be broad in the search but make use of the filters. 

For example, If you’re looking for high-waisted jeans of a specific brand, I would suggest just looking up “high-waisted jeans” because there are some really cool, vintage brands that are not well-known. Use the filters like crazy though, so you don’t have to wade through thousands of pictures. Set your size range and price range. The price range one is important because there are people who will try to sell jeans for over $100, which I think is ridiculous. Don’t tempt yourself with really cool but really expensive items!

2. Check if the store has any deals or sales going on. 

Read the full description of the item and the seller’s bio for any kind of deals they have. A lot of stores do free shipping on bundles, which sometimes ends up being cheaper than it would have been to get the item alone. A lot of bigger sellers do regular sales or discounts, so make sure you don’t miss out on those deals.

3. Don’t be afraid to barter.

A lot of sellers will also put in the description or bio whether or not they are willing to negotiate on prices. If they don’t say anything about it, then it’s worth a shot. Don’t low-ball sellers though, and if it’s already a great deal then don’t bother. I usually only go down $3-$7 depending on the original price, and I’ve never been turned down. Sellers are usually willing to go down a lot on the price if they have been trying to sell the item for a long time. You’ll find the best deals on items toward the bottom of the search, so make sure to scroll a long time if you really want a certain item. Check to make sure they are still active and selling the item if it has been many weeks or months.  

4. Buy from small sellers.

Big sellers on Depop are able to put their prices way up because they have a lot of followers and traction on their stores. You’ll find the best deals on small seller’s pages. I know I always sell my items for really cheap because I just want to get rid of them. Always make sure to check their reviews thought and be hesitant to buy from sellers who don’t have any reviews.

Elizabeth Mertz

U Wyoming '21

Liz is a junior at the University of Wyoming studying English Education. She's a book enthusiast, Spotify playlist creator, and movie buff. Her life goals include traveling as much as she can afford to and being an awesome teacher.
Hailee Riddle

U Wyoming '20

Writing is hard, but I love it. "Little girls with dreams become women with vision." HC U Wyoming Writing since 2016