This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Wyoming chapter.

After keeping us waiting for nearly 45 minutes on the night of Tuesday April 4th, Eric Church walked onstage with the confidence of a man who knows he’s sexy, and he is right. 

Right away, Church established dominance. His “Mistress Named Music” compilation was writhed with Otis Redding, Bob Seger, Don McLean, and Elton John, among other Greats. This man knows his music (you know this if you’ve ever heard “Record Year”), and is going to impress upon the audience the sheer volume of his knowledge. 

Screens showing Church’s trademark sunglasses, 10 o’clock shadow, and the glittering guitar strap only he can pull off are black and white for a large part of the show. Church declared “I’m opening for myself,” and on the Hold Your Own tour, he did. 

“Mr. Misunderstood” found Church walking around the stage, impressing upon the audience that he really does understand us. At the end, he comes back to the main microphone and called the alcohol he left there the cheese, himself the mouse. 

The singer’s promotion of alcohol was rampant throughout the night. At one point, he laughed while telling an audience member, “that’s a Mason jar! Where’d you get one of those?” and goes on to sing “Drink in My Hand.” Later when Church sang about Jack Daniels, as he made Casper the biggest bar on that Tuesday night, he headed below the stage and the camera followed him at various angles as he poured shots for himself and the crew, and then a cup of Jack and Coke to take onstage. As he walked back up the stairs to the stage, the shot of his ass received one of the loudest applause of the night. 

The screens turned off and Church stood spotlighted as he declared he’s been gone too long, and “Like A Wrecking Ball” entranced the audience. He moved on right after, refusing to acknowledge the heart in the song. Church not only understands how to play the guitar, he understands the fundamental meaning of words, and exactly how to use him. He is easily one of the best lyricists of the country genre. 

Halfway through “Record Year,” the band starts playing, and they know what they’re doing. The center erupted with excitement, and later when Church asked “are you all okay?” it happened again.

During “These Boots,” the star signed several that audience members passed up to him – instead of lighters, boots were lifted into the air throughout the auditorium.

“Kill A Word” featured heartbreak literally getting the bird, and later, “the taxman and the devil,” who share the same address in “Before She Does,” got the same finger (this time pointed to the great downstairs).

“Smoke a Little Smoke” was greeted by applause and excitement from the crowd, Church making his view on marijuana plain to the audience.

The atmosphere for “Chattanooga Lucy” became loud and ferocious and festive, a rock concert on its own. “Creepin” became close to its name. 

For those of us who grew up listening to The Boss, Church playing “Dancing in the Dark” was the perfect lead into “Springsteen.” And for small town Wyoming, “Give Me Back My Hometown” and “Homeboy” were appropriate, and moving. “Pledge Allegiance to the Hag” gave county fans a taste of home.

Church professed he wanted to capture a time and place in his songs, and this he does with “Talladega.” “Carolina” similarly served Church’s purpose, as did “Round Here Buzz.”

The sweet lyrics for his wife and family are relayed “Holding My Own.” “Mixed Drinks About Feelings” and “Guys Like Me” gave Church a second to reflect on the woman (women?) he has left behind.

He professed variations of “I’m just winging it” and “I don’t know what I’ll play next” and “this show is unique to this crowd,” and the show for the Casper audience was energetic and lovely.

Church ended, solo again, with “Sinners Like Me.” And like that, the concert is over when it’s over.

Sydney Stein is a junior at the University of Wyoming pursing a Bachelor’s in Communication with minors in Honors, History, and Gender and Women’s Studies.Sydney enjoys long walks in the mountains, funny conversations, receiving flowers, fiction novels, smelling gardens, jumping off diving boards, Oxford commas, and elephant rides.  
Kaitlyn is a recent grad the University of Wyoming, where she got her degree in Marketing. She has been the Campus Correspondent for a Pink level chapter, a Chapter Advisor to some amazing chapters, and now has the pleasure of being a Region Leader. Born and raised on the Western Slope of Colorado, her love for nature and the outdoors comes naturally. Kaitlyn lives for football season, but finds way to stay preoccupied during the off-season. She enjoys long walks in the mountains, beer as cold as her heart, and bacon on her burgers. You can follow Kaitlyn’s adventures on Instagram, @kaysoup.