Chris Prosinski: From Friday Night Lights to the NFL

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Wyoming chapter.

Chris Prosinski and I grew up about 500 feet from each other and I’ve always looked up to him. In Buffalo, Wyoming, where we grew up, he is a hometown celebrity and arguably the best athlete, in general, to ever go through Buffalo High School. To be honest, he was one of those guys that is still so well-known in town that you can say his name and everyone knows everything about him. He went on to attend school here, where he played football, and graduated in 2010 with a degree in Business Administration. He then got drafted to the NFL in the 4th round to the Jacksonville Jaguars and played for them from 2011 – 2014. After getting injured, he was picked up by the Philadelphia Eagles to finish out the 2014 season. When I talked to Chris, he was still a free agent. But honestly, with his smokin’ new wife (Lexie Madden) and a whole east coast to explore, he wasn’t letting that slow him down. We here at Her Campus wanted to ask a few questions about how life since UW has been for him, and his wife, Miss Wyoming 2012, Lexie Madden.

HC: So you were born and raised in Buffalo, Wyoming, a town of 5,000 people. What was it like to live in Jacksonville? Was it a culture shock?

CP: “Jacksonville wasn’t so much of a culture shock as it was a climate shock. The city itself is spread out so you don’t have the big city feel that you might get in Chicago, New York, or Philadelphia. Adjusting to the heat and humidity took some time, but when I did I really enjoyed it.”

HC: On that note, explain what was running through your head your first game in the NFL.

CP: “I’m sure there were some nerves and a lot of adrenaline. I’ve been playing football since I can remember so I always take the same approach to play hard and leave everything on the field, and at the end of the day if I do those things I won’t have any regrets.”

HC: Last summer, you married Miss Wyoming 2012 Lexie Madden and made her Lexie Prosinski, tell us a little bit more about your relationship.

CP: “I was fortunate enough to meet her my last semester at UW through some of our close friends. We both hit it off and decided to do long distance for a couple years while she was finishing up school and I was in Jacksonville. After she graduated she moved out to Jacksonville with me. We got married this past June and we’re both enjoying spending our married life together in Philadelphia for now.”

HC: Tell it to us straight, does she still practice her pageant wave and walk?

CP: “Haha, no not anymore. She stays busy studying, and will eventually go to grad school. She is also working on a business venture.”

HC: Do you think she’ll ever get back into the pageant world? I mean, she can participate in Mrs. America now…

CP: “No, I think she is done with the pageant world. She did really well at Miss America in 2012 so she went out on a high note.”

HC: So back to football; how did you feel about moving to Philly? What kind of impact have the Eagles and the City of Brotherly Love had on you?

CP: “Philly was more of a culture shock than Jacksonville for me. I loved playing for the Eagles because the fans here are so passionate. They’re always going to sell out the stadium and you can always count on them being loud. As a player there’s nothing better than that.”

HC: Are you allowed to talk about what happened there, or is that a touchy subject?

CP: “No, it’s not a touchy subject. It’s just a crazy business and at the end of the day decisions have to be made. I was pretty confident I would be playing here this year but things don’t always work out the way you think.”

HC: Do you miss living in Wyoming? What was your favorite part about Laramie, UW specifically? 

CP: “We both miss Wyoming but we also enjoy living and seeing different parts of the country. If it weren’t for football I don’t think I would have ever lived on the east coast. We both miss the people of Wyoming the most. It’s always nice to be close to family and friends.”

HC: Do you have any advice, for those of us still in college, about the “real world?”

CP: “I’m still learning things every day about the ‘real world’ but I think it’s important to stay in the present and focus on the positive things (no matter how small) you have going on in life. Keeping a positive attitude and counting your blessings can get you through certain struggles that you may think you can never overcome.”Chris and Lexie have made Wyoming and UW immensely proud. There are so of the most notable alumni to come out of Wyoming in recent years, and will continue to make a name for themselves not only in Wyoming, but in the country as a whole. One thing Chris has is perseverance. Since I last talked with him, he got signed to the Chicago Bears. Goodbye East Coast and hello Midwest! Even if they’re not the Broncos, we’ll still root for our hometown hero. Go get ‘em Chris! Plus, Lexie will look adorable in some navy blue and orange.

Sarah Ott

U Wyoming

Sara is a senior Marketing major at the University of Wyoming. She is a Co-Founder and Campus Correspondent of Wyoming's Her Campus chapter, along with President of the Student Alumni Association, and Director of Marketing for ASUW Student Government. When she's not having mental breakdowns from stress, she enjoys cuddling with her roommate's cat and hiding under a mound of blankets. All she really wants is to live somewhere where it's warm year round and to not be berated for her massive tea consumption. To check out her ridiculous and crazy life, check out her Instagram, username: twigott