On Being Brave: Tips for College Freshmen

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Wyoming chapter.

You’ve made it. The goodbyes have been said, the dorm room is decorated, and the books are in order. You’re finally ready to start your next big adventure; college. So why does this suddenly feel like the most terrifying time of your life?

Everyone made college seem so glamorous. Football games, making new friends, reading great literature, and discovering who you are. They all failed to mention how weird it would be to move in with a stranger or the struggle of finding people to eat dinner with so you aren’t sitting alone in the dining hall. On top of all this you’re miles away from your family and friends. You’ve lost the comfort of everything you used to know.

Being scared is normal, and it’s likely to happen more than once throughout your college career. Applying for an internship, making new friends, and studying abroad are all situations that can seem intimidating, but they also have the potential to change your life. Being brave is important, especially in college, because it allows for growth. You can’t grow unless you move outside of your comfort zone, which usually tends to be terrifying. The secret is pursuing these opportunities despite the fear you may feel.

As women we need to be brave because we live in a society where the pressure to be perfect is overwhelming. We’ve been taught to play it safe, rather than take a risk, in order to prevent failure. Women stifle themselves every day. Rather than speaking up in class to ask a question, we’d rather sit quietly to avoid looking stupid.  Now is the time to practice taking risks. Don’t let failure scare you, it’s just another great learning opportunity. Find a supportive network of people who encourage you to follow your dreams and keep them close. They’ll be the ones there to help cheer you on in those challenging situations.

So this year be bold. Join a club, try new foods, or dye your hair a different color. College is the best time for you to challenge yourself and to grow as a person. On the first day of classes when you walk into a lecture hall full of people and feel like running back to your dorm room, take a deep breath and take a seat. Turn to the person next to you, smile, and introduce yourself. Sometimes it’s the simplest acts of bravery that can add up to be something great.

Sara is a junior double majoring in Journalism and Enviromental and Natural Resources. She was born in Northern Kentucky but has lived in Laramie for 10 years now. She has a communications internship with the Wyoming EPSCoR program and writes for their blog. She also works as a lifegaurd and swim instructor at the local recreation center. To balance out her busy life Sara loves to read, do yoga, and plan her adventures abroad. She enjoys the small things that make life wonderful including rain, green grass, and coffee. One day she hopes to live in Seattle, write for an environmental publication, and travel the world to cover her stories.
Sarah Ott

U Wyoming

Sara is a senior Marketing major at the University of Wyoming. She is a Co-Founder and Campus Correspondent of Wyoming's Her Campus chapter, along with President of the Student Alumni Association, and Director of Marketing for ASUW Student Government. When she's not having mental breakdowns from stress, she enjoys cuddling with her roommate's cat and hiding under a mound of blankets. All she really wants is to live somewhere where it's warm year round and to not be berated for her massive tea consumption. To check out her ridiculous and crazy life, check out her Instagram, username: twigott