Avoiding Monsters: Halloween 2015

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Wyoming chapter.

Halloween provides an excuse to dress up and have a party. I for one, support any reason to have a party and dress up. Many parties usually pair with alcohol and sometimes bad decisions. I aim to help you all avoid a few of the bad decisions.  I don’t just mean those stilettos that look great with your costume, but will likely cause you to roll your ankle after a few drinks.

In a perfect world, everyone has a fun, safe night. I’m not ignorant, I know many students will be out drinking, and sometimes an unsafe amount. I would tell you all the basic count your drinks, don’t leave your drink alone, don’t take drinks from people you don’t know, etc. We’ve all heard that spiel numerous times since coming to college, so I thought I would change up my spiel.

Ghostly Getup: Dressing For Laramie

As we live in Wyoming, practicality of your costume may need to be considered, i.e. will you be warm walking from point A to point B? Can you be on your feet for at least two hours in those shoes? Do you anticipate walking many places? 3rd Street to the Buck may not seem like a long walk, but in uncomfortable shoes in the cold, that walk feels like the worst 5K of your life. Your costume might be the cutest thing since babies dressed as Frappuccinos, and you want to show it off to all of Laramie. I get that, but take a coat, everyone will get the chance to see your rad costume.

Nothing sucks more than missing the last SafeRide, and having to walk home in the cold without a coat. Bring the coat even if you have no intentions of wearing it, because you never know if you’re going to have to wear it especially if you’ve been drinking. Alcohol causes you to feel warmer, but really you’re body temperature drops. With a nice long walk wearing minimal in the Laramie weather after drinking, you’re doing more harm than good to your body.

No Trick, Real Treat: SafeRide

Being a realist again, I know that not everyone will have a sober member of their group to drive them home Saturday night. Let us not forget about the great resource that SafeRide proves to be through and through! SafeRide won’t be asleep at 1am when you need a ride like that girl you met one time at a Nordic Ski Team event. Whether you’re coming from a party or the bars, SafeRide is the real MVP. Did I mention SafeRide is free to everyone?

Nightmare on Grand Street

Sexual assault on college campuses remains an issue we must unfortunately deal with, and isn’t unique to Halloween. The special thing about Halloween is so many people decide it’s the night to go out. Because really, who doesn’t want to dress up as a mouse (duh)? My advice, find some other mice to go out with that have your back.

Paranormal Activities  

Let’s say you decide not to drink or you’re under 21. You can still do some awesome things for Halloween. I encourage you all to take advantage of all the Halloween activities happening on campus. Cowgirl Volleyball, a haunted house, Halloween parties and Rocky Horror, what could be better? Seriously, campus happenings are abundant on Saturday. Technically, you’ve already paid for the events through student fees, so you might as well attend!

Emily Cornell

U Wyoming '17

Emily is a graduate of the University of Wyoming with a Bachelor's in Business Management and Master's in Communication. In terms of career, Emily interned for Wyoming Athletics, and wants to eventually work in sports marketing. When not working or in class, she can typically be found baking cheesecakes, drinking coffee, or having random adventures. If the idea of these three things seem exciting, you can follow her on Instagram or Twitter, username: emilproblems.