The 7 Best Female Authors You Must Read Now

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Wyoming chapter.

Now that the fall weather is upon us (or winter weather… but shhhhh we don’t talk about Wyoming’s flaws), I often find myself curled up in a blanket with my puppy with a hot mug of Chai Tea, and no book to read besides a textbook.

These 7 female authors are my go-to authors when in need of a good book.

1. George Eliot

Mary Anne Evans was absolutely brilliant, using a pen name to write novels because back then it was frowned upon for women to be smart (we showed them, right ladies?). Although I haven’t read any of her novels, one quote has really helped me out these past few months.

In March, my grandmother passed away from dimension and complications after a stroke. It was a rough time for me, but this quote stuck with me and I believe she lives on through my music.

And a lot of people have recommended reading Middlemarch. It’s currently on my very long list of novels to read.

Other Works: Silas Marner, The Mill on the Floss, Adam Bede, The Lifted Veil

2. Maya Angelou

After the sad passing of Angelou in 2014, the world reminisced in her memory by reading her fantastic works of art.

I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings is the piece that I keep coming back to. 10/10 would recommend.

Other Works: And Still I Rise, The Heart of a Woman, A Letter to My Daughter

3. J.K. Rowling

It’s obvious. The mastermind to the Harry Potter universe, Rowling is a true genius and deserves a monument. Rowling also used a male pen name- Robert Galbraith- to enter a new genre of books besides her wonderful world of Harry Potter. The Cuckoo’s Calling is one of the many books still on my reading list.

Other Works: The Casual Vacancy, The Silkworm, Very Good Lives

4. Jane Austen

A classic author with amazing pieces of work. My favorite, every time, is Pride and Prejudice, especially the movie adaptation with Keira Knightley. But definitely not the movie “Pride and Prejudice and Zombies” (that was a waste of Hollywood dollars).

Other Works: Sense and Sensibility, Persuasion, Northanger Abbey

5. Harper Lee

Another amazing woman that, only last year, passed away. Harper Lee’s To Kill A Mockingbird was that dreaded requirement we all had to read in Middle School, but in college I have a deeper appreciation for this work of art.

Other Work: Go Set a Watchman

6. Agatha Christie

If you are obsessed with crime shows and mystery novels, then Christie is the author for you. My favorite work from her is The Murder at the Vicarage. 10/10… would recommend… A+.

And if you’re really into mysteries, you would find it interesting that Christie went missing for eleven days… only to be found at a spa claiming to have suffered from amnesia. No one has been able to crack this case.

Other Works: Death on the Nile, The A.B.C. Murders, The Murder of Roger Ackroyd

7. Suzanne Collins

Rounding out this list of amazing women is Suzanne Collins, who focuses her audience on teenagers and young adults. The creator of the Hunger Games series, Collins has opened a world of imagination to her readers. And if you haven’t read the series or even seen the movies… what are you doing with your life?

Collins opened the opportunity up for Josh Hutcherson to become Peeta. How could we not love her? J. Hutch is bae.

And who could not love the relationship name between Peeta and Katniss. Smart move, Collins.

Other Work: Gregor the Overlander

1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12

cover

“Sometimes you want to have a very productive Saturday to feel that you are in control of your life, which of course you are not.” -Tina Fey, Bossypants Jamie Bridenstine... How do I even begin to explain Jamie Bridenstine. Jamie Bridenstine is flawless. She has two Fendi purses and a silver Lexus. I hear her hair's insured for $10,000. I hear she does car commercials... in Japan. Her favorite movie is Varsity Blues. One time, she met John Stamos on a plane. And he told her she was pretty. One time, she punched me in the face. It was awesome. Jamie Bridenstine is a 4th year undergrad at the University of Wyoming, earning her B.A. in Communication and a minor in Military Science. Her favorite move is Mean Girls... and any movie with Tina Fey in it. She enjoys deep conversations about politics, procrastinating on group projects, and watching The Office over and over again. Jamie has the cutest dog in the world, Timber, and is ready to take on the world after college. She will be heading up to Washington after graduation to pursue her career in the military... and hopefully her graduate degree in Public Relations.
Kaitlyn is a recent grad the University of Wyoming, where she got her degree in Marketing. She has been the Campus Correspondent for a Pink level chapter, a Chapter Advisor to some amazing chapters, and now has the pleasure of being a Region Leader. Born and raised on the Western Slope of Colorado, her love for nature and the outdoors comes naturally. Kaitlyn lives for football season, but finds way to stay preoccupied during the off-season. She enjoys long walks in the mountains, beer as cold as her heart, and bacon on her burgers. You can follow Kaitlyn’s adventures on Instagram, @kaysoup.