6 Reasons to Listen to Troye Sivan if You Don’t Already

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Wyoming chapter.

I just saw Troye Sivan live on Oct. 22 and it was quite the experience. I’ve loved Troye for a long time and have decided to give everyone a little list of reasons you should listen to him, too. 

1) Plain, simple and obvious-his songs are catchy and fun.

As a pop artist, Troye knows how to do it. He’s the king of bops, if we’re being honest. From ‘My! My! My!’ to ‘FOOLS,’ nearly every song has its catchy beats and choruses that you find singing even when he isn’t playing in your headphones or speakers. If you like upbeat music or are a sucker for pop music and you don’t have Troye in your music library, what are you doing?!

2) He’s probably collabed with one of your fave female pop icons. Seriously. 

Troye is all about powerful women artists, considering both of his openers this tour were female solo artists. He’s done several collabs, including a song with Ariana Grande and Charlie XCX. So, even if you don’t listen to him, you’ve probably heard his name, which is a great start. I highly recommend his collabs, too because “Dance to This” is just that- the perfect dance track.

3) He’s a huge advocate for the LGBT+ community, and has such an accepting fan base.

Troye Sivan is openly gay and so proud, which in turn makes his fan base reflect the same qualities. It was super cool to see his crowd in these gorgeous outfits, completely owning their identity at his show. I feel like he really cares about every walk of life and I think that’s awesome, especially coming from a public figure. The fans are all super confident with themselves and are accepting as well.

4) He has the confidence we all should feed off of.

Tying back to the previous reason, Troye totally owns who he is and what he’s about. (Watch his music video for ‘Bloom.’ OMG that floral ‘fit? Iconic.) He’s so confident and free with who he is and the art he produces, which is totally admirable. Though he is so comfortable with himself, he isn’t pretentious or egotistical, he’s just content in his own skin. Honestly, his aura is contagious.

5) He’s a true artist with such a creative way of presenting his music. 

After seeing him live, Troye is really such an artist. Sometimes, pop music can be really surface level or unoriginal but with Troye, his music is part of a larger picture. His show featured outfit and set changes and the way he performed each song was like a scene in a play. It was so fun to watch unfold. His music videos are also very performative. If you want an example, watch his 3-part video series from his first album Blue Neighborhood and try not to cry, seriously. 

6) He is amazing live.

I wouldn’t be here if I didn’t love his live show, now would I? I imagined he would be good but OMG- good doesn’t even describe a fraction of the feelings I had throughout his set. He made you laugh, cry, dance and sing your heart out without a care. Troye is great at performing, sounded amazing and really made everyone feel personally addressed. If you love his music, or find you enjoy it after reading this, go to a show. You won’t regret it. 

Abbey is a senior at the University of Wyoming and is currently majoring in Journalism. She couldn't imagine a world without Jesus, coffee, The 1975, Twitter or her family. You'll usually find her at a concert or cafe somewhere, which is where she spends majority of her free-time. Talking to band members after their shows is a hobby, along with thrifting & indulging in all aspects of pop culture. After college, she plans to spend more time at concerts, getting paid to write about music and bands.