The 6 People You’ll Meet Your First Semester of College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Wyoming chapter.

As a longtime resident of Laramie, when I enrolled at UW I was skeptical about my social circle expanding when I already knew almost everyone in town. I was so eager to attend an out-of-state school because I thought it would be an opportunity to meet new and exciting people. What I have learned is the chance to form meaningful relationships is always available, no matter the location of your college. College is the perfect time to expand your group of friends and discover the type of people you really want in your life. Your first semester will be full of wonderful stories of these budding friendships. Here are just a few you may have encountered your first semester of college this year at UW.  

1. The “Cool” One:

You probably talk about this person way too much to your friends, but you can’t help it because she is just that cool. When you meet her it’s like an instant girl crush. She’s from some faraway place like Boston, or Alaska. In her free time she likes to do triathlons. And you still can’t figure out how her liquid eyeliner manages to always be flawless. Then the craziest part is she actually wants to be your friend. Once you start hanging out, you realize she is also cool because she isn’t that different from you. She loves eating food, scream singing music in the car, and watching Netflix. From late night study sessions to football games; you two will share countless memories. And I promise she thinks you are just as cool.

2. The One Who Was Yours for the Night:

You quickly learn you can’t say you go to school to UW if you haven’t tried swing dancing at the Cowboy. As everyone is finding partners to head out on the dance floor you begin to have flashbacks of high school homecoming dances except with more spin moves. You’ll notice him when he brushes up against you while trying to wedge your way through the crowd. He is tall, tan with a drop dead gorgeous smile. In a sudden moment of bravery, you decide to ask him to dance. This is what starting college is about; taking chances. To your surprise, this one pays off when he asks you to dance again later on. When you end up staying together the rest of the night you will feel like he is the homegrown sweetheart of your dreams. Yet somehow you forget to give him your number. But after a while, you realize it’s okay that you’ll probably never talk to him again, because the thrill and excitement of that night was all you ever needed from him.

3. The One Who Sits Next to You in Class:

On the first day of classes, this girl starts a conversation with you because the room is so awkwardly silent and she wouldn’t stand for it. You guys end up having two classes together so you see her every day. After a lot of talk of how horrible homework is and the disappointment of the snow you think she seems great, but you are still hesitant about asking her to hang outside of class. What if she doesn’t get along with your friends? You decide asking her to lunch is safe enough. You had no idea you would end up talking for two hours about your love of fashion, future careers, and your favorite TV show. Then when you invite her to a movie night with your crew it’s like you guys have known her for years. You’re glad you sat next to her on the first day because now you’ve found someone to be by your side for all of your college adventures.

4. The One You Meet at a Party:

It’s dark, the music’s too loud, and everyone is crowding the beer pong table. You still haven’t figured out how this stupid game works. You introduce yourself to the boy next to you because drunk you thinks this is a great idea. When he tells you where he is from, you will stare at him for a solid 30 seconds trying to figure out how someone from Rhode Island would end up in Laramie. Your friend is calling you to go, but before you do it feels necessary to add him on snapchat. When you see him in the light of day on campus you will second guess that crazy connection you swore you felt last weekend. You will want to go back and slap your past self when he won’t stop trying to talk to you. Luckily he gets the hint when you open and don’t respond to his fifth snapchat. Next time you go out, you decide to leave your phone behind in the car.

5. The One Who Inspires You:

The first conversation you have with him will consist of discovering all the random things you have in common. The same major, the same favorite author, the same love of traveling. When he shares his college experience thus far, everything he has done is what you only dream of doing. With every question you ask, he seems to have a story to tell or some advice help guide you. He challenges you to push the boundaries and go beyond every plan you have for yourself. As a senior his time left in college is short, but it won’t matter how long he stays in your life. He was there when you needed it most and the impact he makes will last.

6. The One Who Will Always Be There:

She will make you tea when you’re sick, she will throw you a surprise birthday party and she will be the best second mom you’ve ever had. You both realize how hard being an adult can be but you are determined to figure it out together. Whether it’s late night Walmart runs or road trips to Denver, hanging out with her reminds you there is more to the world than going to school. When you talk about your future she makes it feel as if your dreams can be reality. Through her actions she pushes you to be the best person you can be. Words will not even begin to describe how thankful you are she walked into your life. No matter what happens, never let her forget how much she means to you.

Sara is a junior double majoring in Journalism and Enviromental and Natural Resources. She was born in Northern Kentucky but has lived in Laramie for 10 years now. She has a communications internship with the Wyoming EPSCoR program and writes for their blog. She also works as a lifegaurd and swim instructor at the local recreation center. To balance out her busy life Sara loves to read, do yoga, and plan her adventures abroad. She enjoys the small things that make life wonderful including rain, green grass, and coffee. One day she hopes to live in Seattle, write for an environmental publication, and travel the world to cover her stories.