5 Charities You Should Give Some Love to this Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Wyoming chapter.

Valentine’s Day: the arguably superficial holiday that sucks cash out of all of its participants. Whether you’re buying chocolates and teddy bears for your S.O. or going out for drinks with your girls in celebration of Galentine’s Day, it’s hard to get through V Day without spending. This year, why not put some of those bills towards a greater cause? Thousands of nonprofit organizations work hard every day to fill gaps in our society, and these charities are largely dependent on donations. Even though college students struggle with funds themselves, $20 can go a lot farther than you think in the hands of an established organization. Check out some of these awesome causes that deserve some love this Valentine’s Day.

1. Direct Relief

Direct Relief is a humanitarian aid organization that is changing lives in 80 countries. Blind to age, religion, and politics, Direct Relief provides aid for people experiencing natural disaster, disease outbreak, and poverty. This amazing entity made Charity Navigator’s list of the ”10 Best Charities Everyone’s Heard Of,” so you know your money is going to be in good hands.

2. Interfaith-Good Samaritan

What better way to give back than to your very own community? Interfaith-Good Samaritan acts as a crisis center for families in Albany County, Wyoming by providing food and financial assistance to those in need. With the poverty rate in Laramie hovering at almost double the national average, charities like this are saving lives.

3. First Book

First Book is working to bring education to all. Focused on children from impoverished families, this organization has distributed 175 million books and educational resources to schools that serve low-income communities. You can help build up the next generation by donating.

4. Women’s Bean Project

Transformation, empowerment, and opportunity. Those are some of the core values of Women’s Bean Project, a nonprofit based in Denver, Colorado, that supports impoverished women through employment. Women’s Bean Project hires chronically unemployed women to make nourishing products. You can also support this valuable organization by buying these products, such as soups, baking mixes, and instant meals, through their website.

5. American Foundation for Suicide Prevention

AFSP is a nationwide mental health organization. With chapters everywhere, they spearhead research, advocacy, and counseling for victims of depression and those who have lost loved ones from suicide. They provide safe spaces to confront serious issues that our society struggles to talk about.

If you feel inspired to donate, you should ensure it’s going to a cause close to your heart. You never know how any lives you might change with just a few bucks.

1,2,3,4,5

1
1
1

1
1
1
Brittany Johnson

U Wyoming '19

Brittany is a senior at the University of Wyoming, studying English and professional writing. She loves ice cream, Jesus, historical fiction novels, the ocean, and Asiatic lilies. Wyoming is her seventh and favorite home; you can often find her skiing, running, hiking, or drinking a good cup of coffee.
Hailee Riddle

U Wyoming '20

Writing is hard, but I love it. "Little girls with dreams become women with vision." HC U Wyoming Writing since 2016