jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

The 10 Best Pictures From This Year’s FEI World Equestrian Games

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Wyoming chapter.

It was an eventful past two weeks at the Tryon International Equestrian Center in Mill Spring, North Carolina. From Sept. 11-23, equestrians from around the world went to compete in the event that is made up of eight events: Jumping, Dressage and Para-Equestrian Dressage, Eventing, Driving, Endurance, Vaulting and Reining.

Here are some of the best pictures from the event.

1. First off, look at these great names of the U.S Eventing Squad horses.

How does one pronounce “Tsetserleg?” Is the “T” silent? Are all the “T’s” silent? And Vermiculus sounds like a Roman general. We can’t forget about Donner either. He escaped Santa’s workshop to go to North Carolina.

2. Denmark’s Stinna Tange Kaastrup’s facial expressions as she won gold in Para-Dressage. 

Kaastrup was born without legs and posted a score of 72.735%. She knows she already won.

3. Just look at this woman’s attire. I love it. 

The Polaris Ranger Driving Discipline is probably one of the coolest events in the competition. There is Driving Dressage, Marathon Dressage, and the Obstacle/ Cones Dressage. Teams are made up of a four-horse lead and three members. It is the ultimate test of teamwork.

4. Just another cool picture of the driving competition.

“Squirrel” says the horses.

5. I really liked the point of view in this photo.

6. There’s a very large duck in this one.

But really, Eventing is also pretty neat. One aspect, seen in the picture above, is the cross-country event that spans from two to four miles.

7. A tribute to living in Wyoming… the reining competition.

The horse wants to go one way but cuts the other way, as shown below. The ultimate test of agility.

8. More reining. 

Horses and riders use this discipline for herding cattle, and it is basically the Western style of Dressage.

9. Isabell Werth, a 5-time Olympian from Germany, won gold on her horse Bella Rose in the Dressage event.

10. It took me a while to count how many bodies were on this horse.

So why was this competition important?

As an equestrian lover myself, I kept track of the competition and watch my favorite events; Cross-country and Reining. The games are held during the mid-Olympic cycle. We should expect to see these names in Tokyo 2020.

1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

“Sometimes you want to have a very productive Saturday to feel that you are in control of your life, which of course you are not.” -Tina Fey, Bossypants Jamie Bridenstine... How do I even begin to explain Jamie Bridenstine. Jamie Bridenstine is flawless. She has two Fendi purses and a silver Lexus. I hear her hair's insured for $10,000. I hear she does car commercials... in Japan. Her favorite movie is Varsity Blues. One time, she met John Stamos on a plane. And he told her she was pretty. One time, she punched me in the face. It was awesome. Jamie Bridenstine is a 4th year undergrad at the University of Wyoming, earning her B.A. in Communication and a minor in Military Science. Her favorite move is Mean Girls... and any movie with Tina Fey in it. She enjoys deep conversations about politics, procrastinating on group projects, and watching The Office over and over again. Jamie has the cutest dog in the world, Timber, and is ready to take on the world after college. She will be heading up to Washington after graduation to pursue her career in the military... and hopefully her graduate degree in Public Relations.
Abbey is a senior at the University of Wyoming and is currently majoring in Journalism. She couldn't imagine a world without Jesus, coffee, The 1975, Twitter or her family. You'll usually find her at a concert or cafe somewhere, which is where she spends majority of her free-time. Talking to band members after their shows is a hobby, along with thrifting & indulging in all aspects of pop culture. After college, she plans to spend more time at concerts, getting paid to write about music and bands.