Your Happy Hour: Good Music for Good Thoughts

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Vic chapter.

The power of music is often underlooked. The combination of lyrics and instrumentals create various melodies that evoke our inner spirits and  emotions. In times of stress, uncertainty, and sadness it is imperative that a playlist is readily available.

Here is a collection of meaningful and upbeat music that will hopefully mitigate whatever challenge you are facing during the day, even if it’s only for an hour:

Part One: Reflective Pop

Weary by Solange

“I’m gonna look for my body, yea, I’ll be back real soon”

During a moment of uncertainty, Solange opts to take a break to find and take care of herself.

Who You Are by Jessie J

“Don’t lose who you are in the blur of the stars! / Seeing is deceiving, dreaming is believing, / It’s okay not to be okay. / Sometimes it’s hard to follow your heart. / Tears don’t mean you’re losing, everybody’s bruising, / Just be true to who you are”

Life is unpredictable: it won’t always go your way and you won’t always be okay. Sometimes you’ll tear up, but that’s okay, it’s not a sign of weakness or loss.

Confidently Lost by Sabrina Claudio

“I’m alone but I’m not lonely Comfortably indulging And trying to get to know me I’m just an outline of what I used to be. Constantly evolving Steadily revolving”

Sabrina challenges the notion that solitude  is dreadful and that those who are alone are in need of saving and attention. She finds  confidence when she’s on her own, as she uses this time to reflect, evolve, and grow as a person.

Unwritten by Natasha Bedingfield:

“Release your inhibitions / Feel the rain on your skin / No one else can feel it for you / Only you can let it in / No one else, no one else / Can speak the words on your lips”

Always remember that you won’t be the same person a year from now. Your story is unwritten as you currently exist and live in only a fraction of life. Natasha encourages us to keep that in mind and live limitless and uninhibited in order to reap the benefits that life has to offer, for  with every action and every word, we are writing our stories.

Masterpiece (Mona Lisa) by Jazmine Sullivan:

“Every part of me is a vision of a portrait Of Mona, of Mona Lisa Every part of me is beautiful / And I finally see I’m a work of art A masterpiece”

This song is an example of what falling unconditionally in love with oneself feels like.

Put Your Records on by Corinne Bailey Rae:

“Girl, put your records on, tell me your favourite song You go ahead, let your hair down Sapphire and faded jeans, I hope you get your dreams, Just go ahead, let your hair down.”

This song encourages one to let your hair down, release your inhibitions, and live life nonchalantly.

I’m Like a Bird by Nelly Furtado:

“I’m like a bird, I’ll only fly away I don’t know where my soul is I don’t know where my home is”

In this song, Nelly talks about the uncertainty one might experience  in life without labelling it as bad or good. People are often conflicted with relationships and the sense of belonging–commitment is scary, dilemmas are real, but it’s okay. Everything will turn up at the end.

Part Two: Reflective R&B, Hip-hop

Personal by Kehlani

“Now I could never judge anyone I loved Even if you lose sight of all the things I’ve done I’m not who I once was, these days I’m all grown up / I f*** with me heavy, I’m all chose up”

Kehlani acknowledges that she is not the same vindictive person and that she won’t longer  judge those she’s loved; even when the flames have blown out, she loves herself and chooses herself first. Forgiveness is an integral tool, the energy that is consumed through hating those you once loved is exhausting, let it go and use that energy effectively.

So Good by Destiny’s Child

“This is for them haters that said we wouldn’t make it Now we doin’ platinum now you can’t take it”

If one ever needs a song to gloat about overcoming milestones or obstacles many thought they wouldn’t, here is one of many to listen to & feel good about.

Sugar by Terror Jr

The lyrics themselves aren’t quote worthy or clear. The melody and instrumental, however, are so vibrant and really get my mood going when I’m down.

Shape of You by Ed Sheeran

This song was also chosen for the instrumental rather than the lyrics. Ed Sheeran and tropical house, what more can heighten your spirits?

Happy by Nao

“I’ll take care of you and make you happy / What you need, I got the time / So don’t you worry ’bout it / Know just what to do to make you happy / What you need, I got the time, So don’t you worry.”

Sometimes the problems of your loved ones affect you too, you hate to see them vulnerable and hurting. Nao reminds us in the most melodic way to take the time to check up on those we  love and to take care of them.

That’s What I Like by Bruno Mars

Again, not chosen for the lyrical content.

Bruno. Mars. Just. Makes. Me. Happy.

Who Do U Luv by Lady Jay

Another feel good song without feel good lyrics.

I Like It by Debarge

“I like the way you comb your hair / And I like those stylish clothes you wear / It’s just the little things you do / That show how much you really care”

Is your playlist really a playlist without a disco song?

Survivor by Destiny’s Child

“I’m a survivor, I’m not gon’ give up / I’m not gon’ stop, I’m gon’ work harder / I’m a survivor, I’m gonna make it / I will survive, Keep on survivin’

The finale of all finales. Survivor by Destiny’s Child can be used as for any problems on a spectrum from low to high.

Here are the links to the playlist:

Apple MusicSpotify

Enjoy!

This article was compiled by the Her Campus at UVic team or published anonymously by one of our writers or a UVic student. If you'd like to submit an article you can contact us at u-vic@hercampus.com.
Ellen is a fourth year student at the University of Victoria, completing a major in Writing and a minor in Professional Writing: Editing and Publishing. She is currently a Campus Correspondent for the UVic chapter, and spends most of her free time playing Wii Sports and going out for breakfast. She hopes to continue her career in magazine editing after graduation, and finally travel somewhere farther than Disneyworld. You can follow her adventures @ellen.harrison