Your Fall Reading List: Four books worth reading this school term for a balanced life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Vic chapter.

So many of us who were bookworms growing up have left reading by the wayside as we’ve entered university. Instead of Harry Potter and A Series of Unfortunate Events, we invest our time devouring peer-reviewed scholarship and research papers. As important as our academic work is, so is taking care of our mental health. I do not believe in a one-size-fits-all approach to mental health. I believe you know yourself best and that self-care is more complex and profound than an Instagrammable bubble bath photo. With that said, reading for pleasure has been a welcomed hobby even when I’m enrolled as a full-time student. I find it to be a lovely way to unwind before bed and a nice substitute to scrolling through my Facebook feed or watching the latest Netflix show. So, if reading is something that helps you relax too, consider these four books to add to your fall reading list:

The Path to Love by Deepak Chopra

You may recognize the name Deepak Chopra from his many interviews and partnerships with Oprah Winfrey. Known for being a mindfulness instructor, in this book, Chopra bridges the gap between spirituality and religion and offers simple techniques for self-forgiveness and welcoming more love into your life. The Path to Love is a notable read for anyone who is hard on themselves or finds it difficult to open up to the people around them.

Eat Pray Love by Elizabeth Gilbert

While it came out many years ago now, this book is still a remarkable piece of creative nonfiction. In her early thirties, Liz Gilbert left a broken marriage and set out on the real-life version of the hero’s journey: spending four months in Italy to learn about pleasure, four months in India to learn about devotion, and fourth months in Indonesia to learn about love. For anyone who wants to read about self-discovery, this one is worth delving into.

The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss

Shifting gears here… this book has made waves in the fantasy genre, even nabbing the attention of Game of Thrones author George R.R. Martin. The narrative is a story within a story. The novel begins with a demon attack on a small village where our protagonist, Kvothe is hidden in plain sight. This attack prompts Kvothe to explain how he understands so much about the impending threat by detailing his journey discovering the world of sympathy (magic). This book is a glorious blend of the wondrous nature of Harry Potter and the danger and politics of Game of Thrones.

The Break by Katherena Vermette

This fictional novel is a fantastic book that highlights the strength and resilience of Indigenous women. The story opens on a winter night with a young woman rocking her baby in her arms only to spot a violent attack through her kitchen window. Each chapter shifts in point of view from one woman to another to delicately piece together what led to that incident and the consequences of the aftermath that follows. I believe this is a book everyone should read, but please be warned that some people may find the content triggering.

Which book from our list are you most excited to read? Share your favourite selection in the comments below!

Carly Grabher is in her fifth year of Creative Writing at The University of Victoria with a minor in Gender Studies. She is the Campus Correspondent of the UVic chapter and has been a contributing writer and editor with Her Campus for four years. In addition to writing articles, Carly formerly danced and worked at Canada's National Ballet School, redesigned the website for The University of Victoria Faculty Association, and worked as the communications and events assistant with UVic's Co-operative Education Program and Career Services.
Meet Rachel Watson! Originally from Prince George, she moved to Victoria to start her undergraduate degree in 2016 and is now in her fourth year. Rachel's major is linguistics and she is pursuing a minor in psychology. She is elated to be one of the two Campus Correspondents for her lovely chapter at the University of Victoria.