This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Vic chapter.

The year 2020 had tested me in all sorts of ways, but one of the things that surprised me the most was how quickly I lost interest in pastimes that I normally enjoyed. Reading, watching TV, writing and listening to music became less fun when they were all I was allowed to do, until my roommate suggested Stardew Valley, and I’ve been hooked ever since. 

Available on a number of platforms, Stardew Valley is a simulation role-playing video game where you move to a small community and take over your grandfather’s farm. You’re tasked with rebuilding the farm and saving the town from the terrifying Walmart-esque Joja Mart by acting as a food supplier and all-around helper. 

The great thing about Stardew Valley is that it’s simply a matter of performing a number of small tasks each day. You can water your plants, clear your land, go fishing, mining, foraging and take on quests from the NPCs. This makes it ideal for a day where you might not have the energy to do schoolwork but want to feel like you’ve done something with your time. 

Not to mention you get to woo the NPCs! Stardew Valley has a slew of love interests available to you. To woo them, you give them gifts and build connections. 

My only warning is that it’s easy to get sucked in by telling yourself you’ll play “just one more day.” I’d recommend setting a time limit or even a timer to prevent yourself from losing a whole day. Alternatively, as soon as you start to get frustrated, log off. It’s meant to be a feel-good game.

Happy playing!

Eli Mushumanski is a queer Writing and English Honour undergrad in their fourth year at the University of Victoria. They specialize in fiction and poetry. Their work has been published by The Albatross, The Warren, and Flare: The Flagler Review, and they are a fiction editor at UVic's literary journal, This Side of West. When not caught up by schoolwork or reading, Eli plays Stardew Valley and chats with their mom on the phone.
Emma is a second-year graduate student at the University of Victoria. She's a pop-culture-obsessed filmmaker and aspiring video game designer. When she isn't writing for Her Campus or burning her eyes from staring at a screenplay that just isn't working, she's probably at home playing video games, watching movies (it's technically homework, she's studying them) or mindlessly scrolling through her TikTok feed.